PDA

View Full Version : End Mill Height/Offset Setting

cncJim
05-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Hi,

Can someone recommend a method of setting end mill height in a collet?

I am using an easy change er collet chuck and I need to be able to place the end mills at the right height every time.

The machine will be used by many users with varying skill levels and possibly using there own end mills so I am looking for the easiest/foolproof method.

Any advise welcome :)

Thanks,

Jim

Lee Roberts
05-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Have you considered a z auto height touch off tool/plate ?

https://youtu.be/PAeQZ3ux2NY

.Me

cncJim
05-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Thanks Lee. I am using boxford software and the tool offsets from the holder need to be setup before hand so I don't think I can use this method?

I have a number of quick change collets and if a tool breaks or needs changing I need to be able to quickly and accurately be able to place the new tool at the correct height.

e.g. Tool 1 has a z offset (from the easy change holder) set to 18.45mm so if it needs replacing I need a method to set the new tool to that offset in the holder.

Jim

Lee Roberts
05-07-2016, 01:08 PM
I'm with you better now, the only "dumb" suggestion I've got then is to have the holders setup in pairs, pre configured to the right offsets so you can just swap them when need be...

But as you say the scenario doesn't lend well to this...sorry.

Edit: Could you not make up a tool jig/block that registers from a face on the holder, that also has a register for the bottom of any cutter and would give the offset of 18.45 ? You know so it could be used as some kind of custom gauge block?

.Me