PDA

View Full Version : Correct wire for stepper motors??

RocketBoy
05-07-2016, 01:11 PM
Afternoon all,

Can anybody make a recommendation on the wire they use to to extend stepper motors. I'm using NEMA 34 86HS115-4208, wired in series drawing 3A at 70v. What gauge of wire would you use, does it need to be screened?

Many thanks

Mike

Clive S
05-07-2016, 04:55 PM
Afternoon all,

Can anybody make a recommendation on the wire they use to to extend stepper motors. I'm using NEMA 34 86HS115-4208, wired in series drawing 3A at 70v. What gauge of wire would you use, does it need to be screened?

Many thanks

MikeHow about CY cable 3A is nothing so 1mm or 1.5 mm will do.

It is always a good idea to use the screen but ground it at one end at the star point in the control box.

Edit: is there a reason for you to use a series connection instead of parallel ?

RocketBoy
05-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Clive, appreciate it. I was tempted by series so the motors run cooler, the machine I'm refitting is a Denford Triac so didn't think I would need the extra speed of parallel. Very new to all this so would appreciate any advice. The kind of work I will be undertaking is model engine parts so mainly Alu, Brass and Steel.

Cheers

Mike

JAZZCNC
05-07-2016, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the reply Clive, appreciate it. I was tempted by series so the motors run cooler, the machine I'm refitting is a Denford Triac so didn't think I would need the extra speed of parallel. Very new to all this so would appreciate any advice. The kind of work I will be undertaking is model engine parts so mainly Alu, Brass and Steel.

Your thinking in this case is correct and for Mill then Series will be best connection because it will provide more torque lower down the RPM curve. But this will drop fast as the rpm rise. However you have half decent amount of volts at 70 so will be fine for Mill.

Use 1.5mm CY cable for these motors. Shield just the Control box side like Clive suggested.