PDA

View Full Version : How to get feedrates

Rebekah_harper
15-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Hiya all,

I've been giving for temorary use a 3 in 1 machine (laser, printer, CNC)

it new and not too bad little machine.

I use Fusion360 and am getting better by the day. The only thing I can't get my head round is FEED RATES. I have GWizard but I am flying blind on that.

is there anything out there where I can establish proper feed rates for cutting aluminium and brass

Many thanks

Becky

magicniner
15-07-2016, 06:02 PM
It's machine dependent, machine make & model would help, perhaps with a picture and some specifications?

JAZZCNC
15-07-2016, 06:34 PM
Not really possible to give "Proper" Feedrate because very much machine dependant and with lots variables. ie: tool material, length etc

Need more info and still will only be Ballpark figures. No one can give you definative feedrates unless they have the exact same machine, cutter and material.

Rebekah_harper
15-07-2016, 11:24 PM
wow, fair one.

the machine is a boxzy. I'll have to see if there is any spec on it. it's a kickstarter project that a friend of mine supported. I'm trying to review it but difficult with so little info.
am hoping in the near future to get a PocketNC but might have to settle with a chinese 6040 5 axis (I know they can be a problem)

however I will try and put as much info as I can and hope there is a ball park figure, it's more than i have now.

cheers guys

Clive S
16-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Ok First I want to say just how impressed I am with your 3 D printing skills and modelling especially the tire moulds you have made.:encouragement:

I think you are going to struggle with the feeds and speed because there is no way of knowing what the speed of the router is doing because it is only graduated 1-6 on the wheel. So it is going to have to be done by trial and error.

Also I don't think you will be able to cut with anything above about a 4mm cutter as I don't think the machine is rigid enough. That's the trouble with a machine that is made trying to do all things.

magicniner
16-07-2016, 01:40 PM
It's rated 10kRPM to 30kRPM so as a ballpark is possible to guestimate that top speed will be close to 30k and low speed will be close to 10k ;-)
Optical rev counters are available so measuring is possible.
I'd give it a go with a single flute end mill in aluminium, if you used HSM Advisor free trial you can set up your machine profile and go with settings that result in no tool deflection and increase feeds from there.
Other Calculators are available! ;-)

- Nick