PDA

View Full Version : lots of help needed here

terry1956
31-07-2016, 04:07 PM
hi. I have been playing around with cnc for a year now and have not made one part. this is what I wish to do and this is what I have so far to do it. I wish to make a few steel parts for my 0 gauge locomotives. these would be things like connecting rods that are just under 2mm thick and 5mm wide and 50mm long. so not large parts.
I have solidworks 2016 software to draw and design the parts needed. I do not have any CAM software and for what ever reason solidworks HSM works as stopped working and I don't feel like paying their asking fee for my hobby use. so I need a good CAM software program that is cheap or free and works with mach3.
my little milling machine is a proxxon MF70 cnc which as an extended work area to allow for making the parts needed.
now I have tried a number of CAM programs fusion 360 but what it shows on the program sim it does not do with the machine for some reason.
I would like a CAM program that allows me to see the sim cutting the work in detail and that is easy to set up as I am a dum ass.
whats out there that will fit the bill. michael

mekanik
01-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Hi Michael
Welcome to the forum.
I don't have a machine but have been lurking in the background for a couple of years, have a look @ fusion 360, a lot of the members use this software it does CAD/CAM and if you go over to u tube there are lots of instructional videos.
Enjoy the forum.
Regards
Mike

Paul3112
01-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Hi Michael,
So if I understand correctly, this is a two stage solution required.
1: to get some confidence that the machine is doing what your file says to do.
2: Do virtual cuts to confirm that the code is all there.

Can I ask do you have Mach configured? ie set the steps/distance?
Have you selected the correct Post Processor in Fusion?
Is it possible to have a little more info on " it shows on the program sim it does not do with the machine for some reason"

My first cut on any machine is a straight line. Check that the slot width is what the cutter dimensions are.
Next cut is a 3-4-5 triangle. This is a tell all test.

A comment on the proxon .. double check your cutter speeds and feeds! and COOLANT! .
Regards

Paul