PDA

View Full Version : Cheap (<200$) DIY wood router

nic6911
02-08-2016, 08:33 AM
Hi folks!

I have been working on a low budget CNC machine design on and off for a couple of years now. This has resulted in my 3.rd design iteration, by which I consider the design done.
It's a low budget machine, so don't expect high speeds, precision and metal capabilities. I have routed stuff requiring <1mm precision without any problems though.
I managed to keep the complete build below 200$ here in Denmark, and I guess it could be done cheaper elsewhere since prices are in the high end here. The price includes everything: nuts, bolts, wood, stepper motors, electronics, dremel tool (a cheaper copy of a dremel that is) etc...
I have made a BOM, some description, packed all necessary drawing files and taken a lot of detail photos of the machine. It is all available for free on my webpage: http://www.nengineering.dk/cnc-machinery/low-budget-cnc/
The work is released under a CC license, which you can see on the webpage as well.

I really hope the design will be of use to some of you!

Best regards,
Mogens

nic6911
25-02-2017, 09:30 AM
I have made an instructable for this machine: https://www.instructables.com/id/Low-Budget-CNC/
I have also made a complete 3D model in Fusion 360 so that people can take a closer look at the design. The 3D model is found in the instructable

Clive S
25-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Hi Nic and welcome to the forum. Personally I think you have made a nice job of this it is a credit to you.

You have been realistic with what you have said about it in that the accuracy is around 1mm and for 200$ it is affordable for any body just wanting to play without spending say £2000 to get a decent machine.

It is something which you could build and throw away if you wanted without breaking the bank

Neale
25-02-2017, 12:25 PM
There is one big problem in building a cheap, "throw-away", machine. It gives you the taste for something just a little bit bigger. Just a little bit stronger. Just a little bit faster. Then you end up building a machine that is quite capable of destroying itself along with any body parts carelessly left in its path...

It's fun, though :smile:

Clive S
25-02-2017, 12:31 PM
There is one big problem in building a cheap, "throw-away", machine. It gives you the taste for something just a little bit bigger. Just a little bit stronger. Just a little bit faster. Then you end up building a machine that is quite capable of destroying itself along with any body parts carelessly left in its path...

It's fun, though :smile:

Yes the best bit is the O'shite button but still a full build.