PDA

View Full Version : Machining airspace parts please heeelp!!!!!

hoezap
29-08-2016, 09:24 PM
ok thank you very much to everyone anyway

Billythefish
29-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Why not wire the full part profile then slice?
Hold slices in softjaws in zero point system to perform any cnc operations.
Finished.....

magicniner
30-08-2016, 08:42 AM
The description is unclear but it sounds like some of the jobs are forgings being machined to finished size?

Boyan Silyavski
30-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Its not very clear what you are doing exactly, obviously is one thing machining 200mm thick part or 10mm thick part. But from what i have seen and know- what you are doing is done usually either using a vice and parallel plates below part, either 2 piece vice for long parts, parallels if needed and a combination of screws and clamps.

Skimming flat on mill is achieved by fly cutter, for your case best would be custom heavy duty fly cutter so you cut at once as much wide as possible. meaning made so that is reinforced with disc.

Billythefish
30-08-2016, 10:40 PM
It is clear what hoezap is doing. The only way to really speed it up is change the process. He is already wiring. Wire the whole job. The speed increase is seen when the part is sliced...

magicniner
31-08-2016, 01:42 PM
It is clear what hoezap is doing.

We bow to your greater knowledge ;-)

Billythefish
31-08-2016, 03:14 PM
lol... thanks! its nice to be appreciated :biggrin:

Maybe hoezap can post some pictures to make it even clearer...

m_c
31-08-2016, 11:27 PM
So wiring gives a better surface than machining?

My interpretation, is they're surfacing both sides of the plate, but I'm not sure if the wiring is being done before or after the surfacing...

JAZZCNC
01-09-2016, 08:35 AM
The speed increase is seen when the part is sliced...

No it's not cleat at all.!! . . . . Where does he say he slices the part with this fixture.? . . . Your assuming this.!

To me it sounds like they are Wire cut to rough size and he's doing the Finish passes.? . . .But this isn't clear.

magicniner
02-09-2016, 01:04 PM
No it's not cleat at all.!!

My thoughts exactly, and my humour was lost on the expert :crushed:

Clive S
02-09-2016, 01:33 PM
My thoughts exactly, and my humour was lost on the expert :crushed:I thought at the time that the sarcasm was lost with the sunbed towels.

magicniner
02-09-2016, 03:42 PM
sunbed towels.

Ooh, now that's a bit harsh, and don't mention the ***!
;-)

Billythefish
02-09-2016, 11:43 PM
Ok.

Machining for machinists.

I post here to help and learn. Other guys are posting to do the same. Lets forget towels and sunbeds for a minute.

If you know nothing about a subject don't post rubbish. It's not stupid not to know. It's stupid not to say you don't know...

Helping - wiring is an electro machining process - short for wire edm. It is used to make very accurate shapes and surfaces in very hard materials where necessary. Much more accurate than milling. Usually it is the last process as the material has been pre-machined in a semi hard state, heat treated then wired to finished form. Maybe it is then spark eroded to add further features.

I work with these procesess thus I understand the original posters question. It is clear you have absolutely no idea about this subject, zero. The original poster asks some interesting questions - he is also working in this area. I have no idea what you do. For sure you know things I do not. Is it not better to learn from each other?

Thanks and in order to enjoy the sunbeds try getting up more ealy!

BF

m_c
02-09-2016, 11:54 PM
I know exactly what wiring is, but it's not something I've ever used, so will bow to your experience regarding surface finish.

However, it's not a fast process, and isn't going to be faster than a milling machine for surfacing. And that's before you consider any other features that may be getting milled during the same setup.
What people were getting at, is your reply where you're stating methods by making assumptions and without ever having seen the part, or the reasons for the milling.

JAZZCNC
03-09-2016, 01:16 AM
I work with these procesess thus I understand the original posters question. It is clear you have absolutely no idea about this subject, zero. The original poster asks some interesting questions - he is also working in this area. I have no idea what you do. For sure you know things I do not. Is it not better to learn from each other?

Thanks and in order to enjoy the sunbeds try getting up more ealy!

BF

To whom are you referring with this arrogant and condisending reply.?

The OP asked question which to most, me included, wasn't clear. I know very well the what was meant by wiring as I'm sure did lots of others.
The difference being we didn't make assumptions to what the OP was refering or trying to achieve. Instead we choose to ask for clarification rather than jump to conclusions.

The OP over the years has asked many quesions that were not clear, mainly I think due to langauge barrier. It's common place for misunderstandings to occur on forums by people jumping to conclusions. So those of us who are more experienced rather than jump to conclusions and offer pointless advice based on assumption chose the more wise approach of asking for clarification.

Ok.!! . . . . Now go set your alarm.

Robin Hewitt
03-09-2016, 10:05 AM
As I read it he is making irregular parts and has a hold down problem for the milling. His solution is to clamp a large plate to the machine bed, mill lots of them from one side, turn it over and mill the other side, then cut them free from the plate with wire EDM.

His problem is aligning to the plate when he turns it over. The two sides have to line up. Right now he cuts two reference edges and the top face which means he has to clean the whole machine down sparkly clean when he turns it over because the tiniest piece of crut is going to put him outside tolerance.

That is the way I would do it, but without the wire EDM. I can only plunge.

Of course I could be totally wrong :pride:

magicniner
03-09-2016, 10:28 AM
If you know nothing about a subject don't post rubbish. It's not stupid not to know. It's stupid not to say you don't know...

We know, we just know it's stupid to assume you know and that it's also stupid to assume others don't know, just because they aren't assuming the things you are assuming.
Professionals, when writing responses on a forum, use the correct terms for a processes at least once because they know enough to assume some readers will not know machinist slang ;-)

- Nick

Colin Barron
03-09-2016, 12:19 PM
A picture paints a thousand words.