PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill motors

Swarfing
24-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey guys does anybody have any thoughts on treadmill motors. There seams to be quite a bit of talk from our brothers across the pond using these to convert their mills? i don't seem to find enough detail to tell me if they actually mean a treadmill (as in indoor jogging?). Anybody know anything about treadmill motors???:feedback:

Swarfing
24-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Just found this link. gives enough to show that there is plenty of parts and things for others uses if not steppers

http://www.mindbites.com/lesson/226-treadmill-motor-replacement-star-trac-treadmill

Gary
24-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Treadmill motors are normally about 2.2KW and are either DC brushed or brushless and have a large inertia disk to increase the inertia of the motor.
All i can think you could use it for would be the spindle but the motors are not designed to go fast, so gearing will be needed.
also they are huge and weigh about 10-15 KG, so your mill will need to be made of something really strong, like MDF with unsupported 12mm rails :)

Just found this link. gives enough to show that there is plenty of parts and things for others uses if not steppers

http://www.mindbites.com/lesson/226-treadmill-motor-replacement-star-trac-treadmill

Swarfing
24-07-2009, 08:55 PM
lol....... i was thinking more cd drive rails. I cant seem to find anything smaller than the sort of size motor you mention. All i can say is they must have bloody big CNC machines :-)

Gary
24-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Unless they mean dog tread mills, i know i have seen treadmills for pets on TV, and i think the saying "only in america comes to mind" :)

lol....... i was thinking more cd drive rails. I cant seam to find anything smaller than the sort of size motor you mention. All i can say is they must have bloody big CNC machines :-)

Swarfing
24-07-2009, 09:26 PM
lots mention about super market conveyors as well. These can come quite small if you think about the corner spare shop???

Swarfing
24-07-2009, 09:27 PM
spare??? i mean Spar

John S
24-07-2009, 09:51 PM
There are a number of people using them as servo motors with a 500 count encoder mounted on the end and driven by the Gecko or Leadshine servo drives.
Mainly aimed at the bigger machines like the Boss 2 and 3's but you have to go 3:1 or 4:1 reduction.

Swarfing
24-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Maybe its about time someone here thought really big like the one on youtube doing the aircraft wing. Might need to rethink the new shed a bit though?
YouTube - Titan 5 Axis CNC Machining Airplane Wing