PDA

View Full Version : AA rechargable battery (special ?)

mekanik
23-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Hi Guys
Have been meaning to have a look @ a rechargable device that stopped working a while ago.
Stripped it and the batteries are AA but the connection is made via a small pin on either end that locates in a v shaped connector.
Has anyone come across this type of Battery and do you know the type or part No i can Google.
Regards
Mike

cropwell
23-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Hi Mike,

A picture might be useful. Any markings on the batteries,are they NiCd or NiMh or lithium ?

RS have tag ended AA's but not pin ended.

Cheers,

Rob

mekanik
23-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Hi Rob
Thanks for your reply, i boxed the device back up to try it on the charger again after cleaning the contacts.
got a reading of about 1.3 volts on both cells and when i pressed one of the buttons a LED flickered into life then faded, new item is about 50 squids so will have a look at a Chinese knock off.
Thanks again.
Mike

m_c
23-09-2016, 06:29 PM
A quick google threw this up - https://cellpacksolutions.co.uk/products/product-category/batteries/common-sizes/aa/

Try the Termination selection menu down the right hand side to see if any look similar.

mekanik
23-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Thanks for that m-c
the pins are about 2.5mm dia and about 4mm long one end and 6mm the other.
more chance of finding Hen's teeth.
Regards
Mike

m_c
23-09-2016, 08:55 PM
If you're otherwise going to bin the item, just get some tag ended batteries and solder them onto the contacts. Even use a bit wire if needed.

Other option would be to make up some suitable adapters/pins from something solderable, and get some of the axial pinned batteries from that link and solder/trim them to the adapters.

cropwell
23-09-2016, 09:21 PM
There are tricks for getting dead rechargeables back to life. I don't think they always work, but maybe.........

Have a google - I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5k0ljHLF58.

Old NiCd batteries grow cadmium whiskers inside them that short out the cell and need to be got rid of, before the chargers will recognise there is a chargeable battery present.

Turning the charger on and off repeatedly is one trick and flashing the battery with a charged capacitor is another. Somebody mentions using a welder to do the same, but I certainly wouldn't try it, it sounds too dangerous.

I don't endorse any of it though.

Cheers,

Rob