PDA

View Full Version : BUILD LOG: Building a Cnc diy wire forming machine

Jeromep
25-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Hi

Im trying to plan the building of a Cnc wire bending machine.

I'd like to build it using arduino, with stepper motor drivers and stepper motors. I could need 4 stepper motors.

I have no problems with mechanical side of things but I've never built a Cnc machine before.

I have used Cnc wire edm, Cnc milling machines, and 3d printers, I have some experience of directly inputting g code, but normally used a post processor.

Could anyone recommend software to run the machine.

Would I be better buying a kit from this site https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/CNC-Kits/Digital-Stepper-Kits

Thanks for any help or guidance.
Regards
Jeremy

Clive S
25-09-2016, 10:47 PM
Would I be better buying a kit from this site https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/CNC-Kits/Digital-Stepper-KitsThis is a good company to buy the stepper from but in general kits are never matched it is better to buy drives like AM882 and use a non linear power supply. Software might be challenging to find so can't answer that.

Boyan Silyavski
25-09-2016, 11:13 PM
Why don't you just follow the instructions on the DiWire and start from there?

Would that be 3d or 2d?

Any 4 axis capable breakout board or a motion control could move 4 motors , from 10$ to 1000$. To narrow down, you will need to specify how many if any additional inputs, outputs? Way of communication? Programmable, offline, windows, linux, Mach3? etc.

But the way i see it, the cornerstone here will be: "who and how will translate 3d shapes to G code?"

If you could write your G code, or brake the shape into different parts each on its own plane and then combine...

If you would like to make a commercial machine for resale , your best bet is to write or pay sb to write a program that translates the shapes in G code for your machine. It should not be sth very complicated. At Freelancer i think for 500-100$ sb could do that for you.

But your best bet is to start from sth existing and build upon it- DiWire