PDA

View Full Version : Community Project: Fender Telecaster

Washout
26-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Hi all,

Hopefully you have all seen the results of using my CNC machine to make a Fender Jaguar replica and I'm very happy with how it came out. If you followed that thread you have also seen me mention on occasions that the next project will be a Fender Telecaster and that a couple of the guys here are interested in collaborating with me on it.

I'm not too familiar with how Fusion works when sharing projects, but we'll have a go (how hard can it be? ;) ) and make it up as we go along.

Anyway to get the ball rolling I have taken some pdf plans (PM me if you want the source files) and converted these to dxf in Vectric Cut2D. I have then imported the neck and body (after a fair bit of clean up) into Fusion 360 and now have a project going in there. Here's a screenshot (I hope):

I have started with the neck as this is where most of the work is and the conversion has worked OK for dimensions (I've checked the fret spacing against a calculator) however there is much more to do and the tasks are roughly as follows:

Convert as many of the curves, which are made up of 100's of short lines into splines or other Fusion 360 geometry. I have already done the circles and the upper neck with fillets and splines for the headstock. The way you can tell is if you hover over a line and the whole curve highlights then it is done. If it is just a small line amongst hundreds of others then it still needs doing.

Sort out the truss rod on the side view (top view if you were playing the guitar), so that a standard double action truss rod will fit (we'll be going for a heel adjuster with a walnut plug at the headstock).

Probably combine or layer the fret slot marks onto the top most plan view so we can extrude and model from that one rather than trying to align extrusions from both.

Extrude the plan view into a solid body and start the process of "carving" the neck profile, fret board etc (going for a solid maple neck as its a lot easier than a cap rosewood but if someone wants to do that in a branched model then by all means go ahead).

OK in order to get access I will need a PM with a valid email address, so I can grant you access and we'll try the collaboration side of Fusion 360 out and possibly get some video footage for my channel as things progress.

I have no idea how version control works so we'll find out - it'll be fun :)

Cheers

Chris

njhussey
26-09-2016, 02:37 PM
I'm in Chris, PM sent......looking forward to this!!!

Washout
26-09-2016, 03:10 PM
Thanks Neil - I've granted you access to the model, but I've no idea what that will look like on your end. It shoudl let you start working in it directly or at least on a version that you can upload back to the master.

Let me know as I can't see what it looks like from your perspective.

Cheers

Chris

njhussey
26-09-2016, 03:15 PM
Cheers Chris, I'll hopefully have a very quick look tonight and see what happens!

Washout
26-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Thanks Neil,

BTW - until I work out how version control works I'm taking regular copies of the models into another Project folder as a backup, so don't worry about messing anything up when editing.

Chris

njhussey
26-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Thanks Neil,

BTW - until I work out how version control works I'm taking regular copies of the models into another Project folder as a backup, so don't worry about messing anything up when editing.

Chris

That's good then :biggrin:

Wal
26-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Looking forward to seeing this take shape guys..!

Wal.

Lee Roberts
27-09-2016, 01:45 PM
I'm in :)

.Me

Washout
27-09-2016, 02:17 PM
I'm in :)

.Me

Check PM Lee.

Washout
27-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Looking forward to seeing this take shape guys..!

Wal.

You're more than welcome to join in if you want Wal.

Chris

Wal
27-09-2016, 03:42 PM
Cheers Chris,

Not sure I could bring all that much to the party body and neck wise, but maybe inlays, or a badge of some sort? Perhaps the pick-ups? I mention those as I'm currently making a set of 10 prototype Rosewood P90's for a local builder, pics and vid of an earlier effort below. I could always ask if he'd wind you a custom built set if you wanted to go off the beaten track - might be a bit cheeky but he's going to be dabbling in CNC himself at some point next year - I've already had the thought that you might make a good contact for him regarding learning about the machine and a solid introduction to CNC guitar making...

https://youtu.be/9hpygLMEH00

Wal.

Washout
27-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Hi Wal,

That might be an idea - I was going to go with some kind of vintage Fender reissue pickup in the bridge (the original guitar I'm copying is a '62) and a '57 PAF re-issue in the neck, but if I can get closer to "vintage" by going custom that might be worthwhile.

No problems on me helping your mate out with guitar CNC'ing - I try to respond to any questions on my YouTube channel the day they're posted and get some PM's etc as well - happy to help people get inspired to build/buy/learn CNC.

Cheers

Chris

Washout
08-11-2016, 06:24 PM
First of the videos for this project - intro and CAd for the neck in Fusion 360:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuD5eih6R_E

I have also done most of the CAM apart from working out final workholding and indexing for the doublesided nature. For those with access to the model - have a look and see what you think.

njhussey
08-11-2016, 06:57 PM
Bugger.....been meaning to start up Fusion but life (grandson most recently) keeps getting in the way....myst try harder (sounds like my school reports!!!) sorry Chris........

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Washout
09-11-2016, 01:11 AM
No worries Neil,

I'll be starting on the body soon, but there will be two versions - one with the standard single coils and then the Andy Summers variant, with the extra routing plus humbucker.

Wal
09-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Looking good Chris..! Very neat bit of modelling there.

Wal.

Washout
14-11-2016, 01:18 AM
Thanks Wal

I should have the CAM video up soon, but have a cockpit project vid before that and I got an Oculus Rift a couple of weeks ago and that has been keeping me "immersed".

Washout
22-11-2016, 11:50 AM
Video showing the CAM process fro the neck is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_mODWuBec

@Neil and Lee - I haven't tested the toolpaths yet, so beware.

Washout
27-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Merry Christmas all,

I got some time on the machine and for video editing. Here is the test machining and I'm glad I did this as there were a couple of issues (for the next video) that needed solving before machining in real wood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzM0JJdTme8