PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: New Member from Ayrshire UK

V8kid
03-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Hi Chaps,

Although I served an engineering apprenticeship it was 50 years ago and I may have forgotten a thing or 2 since I worked all my life in project management & science!

I decided to expand my workshop and bought a Brown & Sharpe #0 Omniversal milling machine for scrap value and was delighted to find it is serial no 001. It has been brought up to the final spec by previous owners so I reckon there is little historical value there and I intend to upgrade during a largely cosmetic rebuild.

Surprisingly everything works but there is too much backlash and I will be changing to ballscrew and stepper/servo drive on 3 axis. Not sure it is worthwhile for the other 2 rotational degrees of freedom - The B&S by the way is incredibly versatile with both the head and table capable of rotation.

I've got a bit to pick up about positional control and will doubtless be asking stupid questions with very obvious answers please bear with me if I do.

Cheers!

Dr David Child

bikepete
03-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Wow looks like an awesome machine! From http://www.lathes.co.uk/omniversal/

V8kid
03-11-2016, 05:04 PM
Its a wee bit intimidating for a first machine but it was available and I couldn't find a Bridgeport for sensible money. Unfortunately the dividing head is missing so if anyone has a spare one handy I'm your man 😄