PDA

View Full Version : Mach3 Software Technical Support

martin1973
05-11-2016, 04:09 PM
We have a CNC plasma table we bought from a company call Plasma Frame Limited (no longer trading). I am trying to find a Mach3 field technician that would attend our premises TW4 7EA (Heathrow, London) on a fee basisi to re-configure the system/Mach3 due to a computer malfunction. The problem that we have is that the head/gantry will not move on a cursor command even though the numerical values change and we are able to load a file onto the Mach3 program.

I hope that makes sense and hope that someone can assist.

Best regards,

Martin
Weldwide Services Limited

JAZZCNC
05-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Think you'll struggle with tech person unless someone local see's this request. Shame because I was down your way last weekend.

However if you can provide some info I'm sure I can get you going again.

When you say computer malfunction what exactly happened. Did you Re-install Mach3.?
If so then chances are what's needed is to re-configure the Motor Outputs and inputs etc. However this will require some info about your system/hardware.

If don't know this info then best way is to take good clear pictures of inside the control box so we can try to figure out what you have and whats connected to what.?

m_c
05-11-2016, 08:04 PM
As Jazz says, Mach will need reconfigured.
The ideal solution is to copy the configuration file from the old computer. Do you still have the old computer and is the hard disk serviceable?

martin1973
07-11-2016, 01:29 AM
As Jazz says, Mach will need reconfigured.
The ideal solution is to copy the configuration file from the old computer. Do you still have the old computer and is the hard disk serviceable?

This is the problem I don`t have the configuration data it is beyond my skill base.. I`m in a pickle!

m_c
07-11-2016, 02:16 PM
If you can provide what Jazz has asked (photos of inside the control cabinet), then I'm sure we'll be able to help you get up and running again.
The configuration data is a single file that is needed from the old computer. What actually happened to the old computer?

martin1973
07-11-2016, 10:11 PM
We have a CNC plasma table we bought from a company call Plasma Frame Limited (no longer trading). I am trying to find a Mach3 field technician that would attend our premises TW4 7EA (Heathrow, London) on a fee basisi to re-configure the system/Mach3 due to a computer malfunction. The problem that we have is that the head/gantry will not move on a cursor command even though the numerical values change and we are able to load a file onto the Mach3 program.

I hope that makes sense and hope that someone can assist.

Best regards,

Martin
Weldwide Services Limited

Hello Jazz/M_C,

Please find below two images as requested, is there supposed to be any illuminated lights of the HG08 board?

When the old PC went bang I took it to a local PC repair shop and they recovered everything and reinstalled it onto the new PC, it all loaded OK but would run.. It may be the case that that the configuration information is already saved as a file on the PC, but I simply don`t know what I looking for which makes it somewhat difficult.

The guy from Plasma Frame who supplied the machine ~3 years ago is no longer trading, I have contacted him and he said it was simple to fix and but has failed to reply to me after numerous polite attempts and have given up (he was unreliable when we bought the machine).

Jazz are you likely to be in or around the Heathrow area anytime soon? I am happy to pay a healthy fee to get this sorted.

We have got two other CNC machines which operate using Delam and Siemens software and are supported by the machinery supplier, unfortunately they don`t offer Mach3 support. Trying to find a field support engineer on-line is proving difficult.

In the meantime any directional pointers would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Martin

JAZZCNC
07-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Martin go into the Mach3 folder you'll find it on C: drive. There's folder called xmlbackup. In there will be files with extension something like MachMill.xb1 or what ever the profile was you loaded before went wrong. Rename and replace the .xb1 with xml. ie: Machmill.xml.
Then copy it into the Main Mach3 folder. Now goto the Mach3 loader and it should be there ready to load.

The correct Xml file may still be in there. Just rename and load whats in there one at time and check if machine comes to life. Restart Mach each time.

If not there then we will have to reconfig your settings but first we have work out what you have. There will be more questions you'll have to answer and check for us.

Unfortunatly no plans to be down your way anytime soon. But between phone and email/pics I will get you going provided nothings broken.

Is this Computer connected to the internet.? If then I could remote into your system and take look. Would mean you installing piece of software to allow this but it's completely secure and you control what I can see.

martin1973
07-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Great, I will try that. I can get an internet connection set-up and load team viewer for a remote connection.

Martin

JAZZCNC
07-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Can you take better picture of the HG08 board. Mainly of the wires next to printer cable. If you could work out where each wire goes this would help when comes to reconfig time.

martin1973
07-11-2016, 11:25 PM
Yes will do, I have ordered an ethernet cable so that I can get it connected online/Teamviewer. This will take a few days and will revert soon.

Many thanks for your help this far.

Martin

Lee Roberts
07-11-2016, 11:34 PM
In the meantime any directional pointers would be appreciated. Martin

You should be in good hands with Jazz now Martin, however I would seriously consider getting a new enclosure and re doing that box of bits you've got there !!!

The green backing looks to me like fiberboard, I can see why they may have used that but again seriously ?? Flammable or what ?!?!

You've got what i'm assuming is silicone sealant (looks more like toothpaste) and two cable ties acting as a makeshift wiring grommet supporting the main cable entry point (VERY LIKELY MAINS VOLTAGE @ 240v), all wrapped up in a nice birds nest of power and signal cables...

Not having a dig at you Martin as I know this is how you've received the machine, I'm just worried on your behalf and continually surprised at the things I see others do, that they obviously think in their wildest dreams is a good idea and even safe enough to pass on to someone else.

m_c
07-11-2016, 11:35 PM
As Jazz has said, it's the XML (or backups) that contains all the configuration data for the machine, however what version of Windows is on the new computer?
If you open up (my) computer, right click and select "Properties", you should get a screen that shows the key properties for the computer. Is the System Type listed as 32 or 64bit?
The reason I ask, is going by the parallel cable, I'm going to assume the parallel port is being used, which will only work on 32bit versions of Windows, and Windows 7 or earlier (the parallel port driver will not work on 64bit and/or Windows 8 onwards)
Jazz did skip a step. When you load Mach3, do you select a profile?
If you do, is it still the exact same one as you did on the old PC?
If it is, then the XML is already in the main Mach3 folder, not the backup folder, so it's more likely to be a problem with the parallel port configuration. However, if the original machine did use plasma.xml (very bad practise!), then check the backup folder, as re-installing Mach 3 may cause the default file to of replaced the configuration file you need.
If you didn't have to select a profile on the old computer, then it means a shortcut had been created that automatically loaded the required profile (You'd need to look at the properties of the original shortcut, and the profile name will be appended to the shortcuts target).

martin1973
07-11-2016, 11:39 PM
Hello Lee,

Toothpaste must have some insulating qualities? The other machines we have are all to a recognized quality standard and all decent. Jazz is very helpful and think I am on the way to getting matters sorted.

This is first for me, using a forum and finding this site very useful.

Martin

JAZZCNC
08-11-2016, 12:02 AM
.The reason I ask, is going by the parallel cable, I'm going to assume the parallel port is being used, which will only work on 32bit versions of Windows, and Windows 7 or earlier (the parallel port driver will not work on 64bit and/or Windows 8 onwards)

Good Spot Moray didn't take much notice of the PC and assumed was same PC just fixed. It does look quite new so your probably correct could be 64bit.

Martin if this is the case then you'll need 32bit windows or another PC.

However I must agree with Lee that the Control box is Box of rubbish and with some dodgy wiring and practises. Ie: wiring 2 drives to one Motor output.
It may pay you to upgrade with better Controller that is Ethernet based and done correctly. This will allow to be run on 64bit PC and be much more stable.

Lee Roberts
08-11-2016, 12:03 AM
Hello Lee,

Toothpaste must have some insulating qualities? The other machines we have are all to a recognized quality standard and all decent. Jazz is very helpful and think I am on the way to getting matters sorted.

This is first for me, using a forum and finding this site very useful.

Martin

Well yes but for your teeth I thought :indecisiveness:...

Good stuff, so long as we're all on the same hymn sheet and all that.

Welcome to the party, pic's and video of the big day very welcome.

JAZZCNC
08-11-2016, 12:10 AM
Jazz did skip a step. When you load Mach3, do you select a profile?

Didn't skip it really moray. I deliberately didn't ask because IME most builders, well the bad ones anyway, just use MachMill or Plasma default shortcuts so didn't want to confuse the issue asking questions probably couldn't answer or didn't know.

The backup's would still be there with date stamp so result would have been same in end.

Doddy
08-11-2016, 10:31 PM
You should be in good hands with Jazz now Martin, however I would seriously consider getting a new enclosure and re doing that box of bits you've got there !!!

+1 to this. Also, I reckon you're going to have bad problems with noise from the stepper drivers and sensor/limit inputs with the amount of unshielded cable in use. Once the machine is up and running really, really consider a full rewire.