PDA

View Full Version : This Old Tony CNC basics video

routercnc
21-11-2016, 08:32 PM
In case you haven't already seen it This Old Tony, well known for informative and amusing videos, has made one on CNC basics. Nothing new for the regulars on here but fun to watch as always . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBGqknN3gGs&t=4s

If you haven't already subscribed then check out his other videos.

magicniner
22-11-2016, 12:14 AM
I particularly like the video title, Tony is a very amusing chap!

Lee Roberts
22-11-2016, 09:05 PM
Not watched it but did see it as i'm sub'ed too...

Have you seen the new one from buildyourcnc.com regarding their new "Fabricator Pro"?

I'm really excited for them if what he says is true and it really is a game changer for digital fabrication industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfOYOpuKlQo

Has a nema43 on the X really got what it takes for industry to adopt this bad boy as their "goto" ?

:thumsup:

John S
22-11-2016, 10:06 PM
Not watched it but did see it as i'm sub'ed too...

Have you seen the new one from buildyourcnc.com regarding their new "Fabricator Pro"?

I'm really excited for them if what he says is true and it really is a game changer for digital fabrication industry.

Has a nema43 on the X really got what it takes for industry to adopt this bad boy as their "goto" ?

:thumsup:

Where have you been for the last 8 years Lee ?

The Nema 43 might be an improvement seeing as everyone else is making Nema 42's but these are heavy and slow motors compared to higher revving 34's and even 23's or 24's.

But then to go and drive the carriage with a bike chain beggars belief, that's plasma, plus or minus a post code territory.

Now if they were showing servo drives driving twi spindle drive screws then it might just be adopted by industry.
But industry won't want clunky steppers and a bike chain.

JAZZCNC
22-11-2016, 11:12 PM
This Cave Man sent CNC back to the stone age when started convincing liked mind idiots to build machines from MDF and Mashy paper.

Now like the Ape he's evolved to next level of idiotness by combining precision components with clunky bike chains and Piss poor engineering mixed stupidity of gross component lunacy.!!

We should make Forum rule that if anybody in UK falls for this Idoits design and parts with hard earnt Cash they should be sectioned under the mental health Act then given all the help they need to recover.
If found they willing knew what they where buying into they should deported immediately using terroism act has "Extremist idoits with too much Bloody Money" then set adrift on this Pile of excrament back to Trump-ton land of idiots.!! . . Then Banned from Forum for Life or until they've been on the Sea bottom for at least 2 hours.!!

Ger21
23-11-2016, 01:17 AM
He's been ripping people off for years, and now he's found a way to get even more money from unsuspecting fools.
$12,000? WTF??
Complete garbage...

routercnc
23-11-2016, 07:50 AM
If this were a machine built by a hobbiest on here I'd be saying good effort and well done. But I don't understand the choices they made if they have been doing this for so long; which also would be missed by a novice customer.

Local drivers right next to the motors is odd - yes the cable run to the motor is short, but the signal cable from the PC is very long. Surely not good for interference? They are also going to get covered in dust, or metal chips which will drop into/around the connectors and with a bit of luck short the power supply.

Large high torque motors usually need lots of volts - I missed the power spec but the supplies looked like generic ebay ones which I've seen up to 60V. Has he fallen into the same old trap?

Bike chain? Ballscrews are not that expensive and give good repeatable results.

Gantry stiffness - looked like an open channel with thin walls which might be OK for foam, plus softwoods, but the gantry width he was talking about seemed pretty wide for such a lightweight structure.

JAZZCNC
23-11-2016, 09:45 AM
He's been ripping people off for years, and now he's found a way to get even more money from unsuspecting fools.
$12,000? WTF??
Complete garbage...

Didn't get that far Gerry couldn't bare to watch more than 1min worth.!! . . . . . Why people buy these machines or fall for the bull shit just baffles me.!

I build machines and I'm constantly asking my self is this good enough.? What can I do to make it better.? What can do to make it Safer.? What can do to make it more productive.? What can I do to maintain or improve reliabilty and ease maintenance.? How can I lower build time again without compromising machine.? and lastly.!! . . . What can I do to make it affordable without compromising the machine.? How can I provide better Service/backup.?

These are just some of things that conflict with each other and have caused me many sleepless nights. However the result I'm proud to say is machines that are strong well engineered tools which provide, high reliabilty, High degree of Electrical safety, allow flexabilty of work type and more importantly can do the Bloody Job correctly 24/7 if required.

But heres the Kicker for me.!!! . . . I succeed in most of these goals and still provide machines for less than these ripp off merchants ask for what is and would be considered poor fire wood or inferior scrap metal in my world.!!

I couldn't Sleep at night or walk down the street with my head high knowing I'd sold piece of rubbish like what these company's or people do.! . . . Sadly and Unfortunatly it seems there are enough unsuspecting people out there with more money than sense that allow theese Ripp off merchants to get away with it.! :hopelessness:

m_c
23-11-2016, 11:04 AM
At that price, could they not at least afford somebody who can use a camera?
If I had to watch that much more, I'd have to go find some travel sickness pills!

magicniner
23-11-2016, 11:17 AM
$12,000? WTF.

Isn't that twice the price of the Zapp Automation machine? -

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/9962-Zapp-Automation-and-our-new-range-of-CNC-Mill-Router-machine-and-Kits

and yet Gary's machine has clearly been Engineered and not Contrapted

- Nick

m_c
23-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Isn't that twice the price of the Zapp Automation machine? -

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/9962-Zapp-Automation-and-our-new-range-of-CNC-Mill-Router-machine-and-Kits

and yet Gary's machine has clearly been Engineered and not Contrapted

- Nick
Ah but Zapp don't have a glossy video of their machine, so how can it be any good?
Obviously anything with a video has got be far better. I mean they've got a guy telling us how good it is, so it's got to be really good... :joker:

burr
19-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Just thought I'd add this here...

The Chris Ramsay Playing Card Press
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PwAQZNLy0I

Also great fan of ol' Tony