PDA

View Full Version : Granite Surface Plate - Cracked?

camhguh
26-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Hi Folks,

We have received a granite surface plate that we ordered from RDG Tools and on unboxing it appears that there is a very fine crack running across the top of the plate. I cannot detect anything running my nail across it, but has anyone experienced or seen anything similar on a granite plate? It is very hard to detect if it is a crack or just an artifact in the natural material. Advice appreciated :)

magicniner
26-11-2016, 07:06 PM
The only thing I can think of is dye penetrant testing, that would definitely detect a crack if there is one,

- Nick

magicniner
26-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Also if you suspend and gently strike it with a plastic hammer it won't "ring" cleanly if it's cracked

camhguh
26-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Also if you suspend and gently strike it with a plastic hammer it won't "ring" cleanly if it's cracked

Thanks Nick!

Not sure about this idea as its pretty heavy but I have used crack detector kits in the dim and distant past. Will do a search and see if I can find one that is suitable and fits within our budget ie cheap :)

JAZZCNC
27-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Wouldn't accept it my self and send it back. I've never seen crack or defect in any new surface or lightly/correctly used surface plate that is designed to hold any sort of precision.!