PDA

View Full Version : Slower Spindle Needed

Cube3
28-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Hi,

I built a Aluminium framed 3axis router a year or so ago and it has been very successfull for us. I mainly machine wood or HD model board (Polyeurethane) for prototyping various product designs for my company. The router uses a small palm router from Makita (RT0700) which is fine for wood and model board. The problem is that the Makita starts at 10,000 rpm and I would like to machine some small plastic and aluminium parts and this is causing an issues with pick up on the tool bits. I would like a spindle that could use HSS bits. Any help appreciated. Simon

njhussey
28-11-2016, 06:10 PM
Hi Simon,

I machine Acetal at about 15k to 24k depending on the speed I'm running at and whether I'm pocketing or trochoidal milling etc. so spindle speed isn't an issue. I'm guessing that you can't run at the feed rates needed for these speeds? What feed rate are you using, what's the max feed rate you can use etc?

Cube3
28-11-2016, 10:07 PM
Hi Neil,

This is a car badge that I struggled a little with pick up on the tool, it seemed difficult to get enough feed rate. I have no coolant set up which is probably the route cause. I was thinking it would be easier to swap the Makita palm router when needed than introduce adequate coolant.
The badge was a repair for a friends Micro car.

njhussey
29-11-2016, 12:19 AM
If you cant get your machine's feed fast enough for the spindle, have you thought about a brushless DC DIY spindle?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Boyan Silyavski
29-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Or 1 flute cutter. That halves your feed rate requirement