PDA

View Full Version : Next stage is Plasma add on...

Skiprat
07-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Hello all i have completed my cnc build and as stated i have bought a Hypertherm 45 with T45 machine torch.
I am in the process of adding it to my table and would people recommend a floating head or a static head as weeks of searching google and peoples opinion differ....some are spring loaded, some solid and others hybrid etc etc.

2nd question is the elctrical connection to my THC from purelogic.

Am i right in stating the connections from the HYPERTHERM going to the PURELOGIC THC are

Hypertherm Purelogic

Start (start plasma) = Arc Ok output

Transfer (start machine) = Torch fire input

Ground = Ground

Voltage divder = HVAC output.

I have bought the T45M and it came with the lead as shown in the photos below and i have a feeling that i will need another cable as this one only has 3 cores even though it shows 2 used.

Any thoughts, alterations or comments good or bad welcome.

Cheers Tommy

Skiprat
05-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Back again............done some research and have built a floating head and added it as a probe.
This works brilliant but i cant seem to get the torch to fire with the cnc bob/thc whichever does it.

See pictures of update below

20958209592096020961209622096320964209652096620967 209682096920970209712097220973209742097520976

Skiprat
05-03-2017, 05:53 PM
I have bought a new plug and connectors / pins and have wired the plug to suit the diagram as requested.

The machine wont fire from program and i think i must be missing some gcode or macro input as i have tried every conceivable combination of pins and outputs but nothing seems to work.

I have got the full bought versions of sheetcam and mach3 so these shouldn't be a problem. the post processor i am using is the purelogic with fr one which was one off 7 available and it doesn't tell me which one is the best.

I have used the independent button to start of arc and cut the following square as seen but i would like to get it to fire via the software / program.

Skiprat
05-03-2017, 05:59 PM
I think i am looking too deep into this firing sequence as i have used g31...g28.1 and even the kitchen sink but nothing works.....The purelogic THC uses ethernet to communicate with the bob so i wonder if this has anything to do with it.
All boards and thc boards show up as requested but when i run the program.....it follows the gcode perfectly but no life from the hypertherm....

Please has anyone got any ideas or comments / insults to be able to help me????

I have also bought an OHMIC SENSOR for the torch but have not installed it as i think this is a totally different game again with coding.

Many thanks Tommy.

Skiprat
05-03-2017, 06:10 PM
The magnetic base was taken from a magnetic car aerial which was obviously stripped of all plastic bits "and drill through the centre and attached to the torch holder.

The torch is held with two 1.25- 1.5" BICC cable clamps which fit perfectly around the torch.

The torch is very "stuck" once attached but also detaches if it comes across an obstruction. There will be a micro switch attached to stop motion in case of a collision but that is to be attached.

I used this type of magnet so that i have an infinite number of angles to choose from if needed.

The torch and spindle occupy the same z axis as the is plenty of room on the table for both and i just cover it up when plasma cutting and remove the torch when i router with the spindle.

Hope this helps anyone if they are looking for ideas.

Cheers Tommy

warwick
07-03-2017, 01:30 AM
hi, i only know what iv done on mine and nothing else so im probably not going to be much help..........

iv used the relay on the bob to trigger a bigger 24v relay to fire the plasma.........is it firing the plasma on mach?.....

Skiprat
07-03-2017, 06:31 PM
Hello Warwick....not had it firing from mach yet only from pendant button. I made my own plug as the cheapest i could find was £86 + vat from a uk source for a 6 pin version. I got the plug wire and pins from RS for less than a Tenner so this was a massive saving.
The lead i made has continuity etc but i think im struggling with the pin outs.
As the pictures show i have a purelogic THC which is made for the hypertherm 45 and this is connected with an ethernet lead so not real sure what pins i need if any. My floating head has a micro switch on it which i have configured for both Z home and Probe scenarios but nothing happens.
I think i am missing some code / script as all the ones i have used have worked for finding top of material but i think i am missing the trigger scripts if that's what you want to call them.

So basically if you have any ideas or could share your scripts etc, i will be very grateful as no doubt, once it works it will be looking at me straight in the eye.

I do have the RS codes for the leads if anyone wants to make their own and save a massive amount of money instead of buying a hypertherm one.

Cheers Warwick and thanks for your reply.

Cheers Tommy

warwick
08-03-2017, 02:23 AM
hi, iv two micro swithes on my z axis.top is machine home..bottom switch on slide is probe.g31 a very kind fella off the forum set up sheet cam to put the gcode into anything it post process's.........

thc ...havent a clue, im using a proma sd and struggling to get it working well....

can let you know how my 6 core cable is wired......

cheers

Skiprat
08-03-2017, 05:48 PM
Hello Warwick...
The six cores i have wired up with the full 6/7 cores inc ground so same as you, i have all avenues covered.

Just the gcode and scripts is what i am struggling with.

Scoured the internet and cant find a dummies guide to floating heads etc as they all have different pin out names etc.

The proma you have, has quite a few explanations online with pictures but mine has none or very few with minimal explanation.

I would like a schematic of someone else's to scrutinise and once i have mine working, i will post mine on line with pictures for other people to look at as a picture tells a great story if you know what i mean.

I will keep experimenting untill i get the thing working....LOL

Cheers Tommy

warwick
08-03-2017, 09:13 PM
its a very lonely place is the plasma section on any forum!!!!!`
the web is a nightmare for conflicting thoughts and nobody really posts the outcome of all the problems you are going through....

ill sort out the pins i have used and let you know.....

Skiprat
08-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Many thanks Warwick

Do you have yours set to spindle, thc on thc up thc down etc etc as these are all the scenarios i am looking at and everyone seems to have a different solution but if you have a hypertherm 45 at least we have this in common...

As usual sorry about all questions but as you have experienced, it is a pain in the butt and frustrating.....i.e so close yet so far away from a fully working machine.

Thanks Tommy

warwick
09-03-2017, 12:19 AM
hi, im using a mill screen at the moment and mine is indeed on spindle......my plasma screen set just crashed alot and caused problems, i think that i need to reinstall mach ..
on the mill screen im not getting a torch ok signal so my proma thc isnt working at all,which isnt a bad thing from the performace iv had off the dam thing....
may have another go at getting it running tommorow...............

oh and just to kick you a little more while your down!!!! ya compressor needs to be a beast...iv got a brand new italian cheap 12cfm compressor and when cutting 200mm tall letters i was getting one and a half letters before i had to feed hold mach and let the comp catch up........

cheers woz

AndrewMawson
09-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Skiprat, I'm using the Purelogic Ethernet THC and BOB and Hypertherm 45 on my table. I don't visit here very often, but if you drop me a line by email I'll see if I can help.

[email protected]

Skiprat
10-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Hello Warwick

I bought a 14cfm compressor off ebay from a fellow just down the road as spare or repair.

Got it home and it wouldnt pump passed about 50psi.......so i cleaned it up and tested the motor which was okay.....still wouldnt work ..

Changed the oil in the compressor which was black as black can be and away she went....never flawed since.

Basically i got a very cheap belt driven 14cfm compressor and an oil change done the trick.

Upto now, its powered my whole mancave no problems.

Cheers Tommy

Skiprat
14-03-2017, 09:20 PM
Well slowly getting there.....with help off warwick and Andrew....i have the machine cutting from mach3.

Andrew sent me a few files which i used and alter to suit my machine which is identical to his i.e purelogic and hypertherm and switching on spindle as warwick mentioned i got a few squares cut.

I will post a diagram of my pins etc and how its wired up once i have tweaked it just in case someone else wants to scrutinise it.

Once again many thanks to warwick and Andrew for help on this....

Cheers Tommy

Skiprat
14-03-2017, 09:20 PM
Well....i have it sorted with help from Warwick and Andrew.

Spindle turned on as Warwick mentioned and Andrew sent me a few files to use and also a few phone calls aswell.

I tweaked the files to suit my machine and hey presto....a few squares cut.

I will post my pins, drawings etc of how i wired it just incase any one else wants to scrutinise it.

Once again many thanks to Warwick and Andrew for help on this problem as i think i would still be twiddling my thumbs without them.

Cheer Tommy

AndrewMawson
14-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Delighted to have been able to help

Skiprat
25-03-2017, 09:55 PM
Hello All

Rewired the Hypertherm 45 up today and set it away....It now shows the voltage going up and down but still no movement on the z axis.

Not sure if it is a pins problem or a software problem....I'm getting there but one brick at a time unfortunately.

Got family coming tomorrow so can't play with it Sunday which is a bummer but there's always next week..

Ill do some more reading and I have had a few replies from Purelogic which stated i had to use the raw voltage rather than the divided voltage i used previously..

The metal I have used is 6mm thick and quite flat so not sure if it is not moving because it doesn't need to so I tilted it approx. 10mm one end and when the torch moved towards the high end, the voltage dropped but no movement from the z axis.

The machine works as should except for this one little problem and I have attached a few photos of my progress up to now.

Think I will try the software you use to see if that simplifies things.

Will keep playing until it is sorted.

Tommy212622126321264212652126621267

Skiprat
04-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Well got it sorted eventually as Purelogic.ru sent me the most up to date file and also help off Andrew and Woz (again many thanks).

Must give Purelogic praise as even after buying the items 3+yrs ago, they answered all my queries instantly without delay even though thay are in another time zone and gave me a few pointers aswell. Excellent customer service.

It now moves..........so very happy and now on to the free water table build.

Many thanks to all who helped.

AndrewMawson
05-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Glad you are up and running Neil !

Tell me, does this give you the screen sets that you originally had, or are you now in the simpler ones that my set up has ?

Skiprat
05-04-2017, 11:31 PM
Hello Andrew

I always used the version V2 from the beginning trying to be the up to date man in the street which i got from the purelogic website as it stated that both worked with the TH1 we have.

As you know through my questions i couldn't get this to work and with the help of yourself, i used your version which i already had but still no movement.

The firmware wouldn't up date with my V1 so that's when i got in touch with purelogic.

They sent me the most up to date version which we both now have and this updated the firmware when asked and that's when everything started to come together.

I don't think it has anything different to the original one (V1) we have other than it updates the firmware via the web so i can only presume it is hidden in the software somewhere.

I never had mine working with the original V1 like yourself or V2 so unfortunately cant really answer that question as i never really played with the screen sets...sorry.

Basically original V1 and V2 wouldnt work. But...New V1 sent from purelogic (PLCM.zip) worked a treat.?????? not sure why.

Regards Neil