PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium stock (billet/plate)

Dangle_kt
07-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Where do you guys buy your aluminium for machining?

I'm after some offcuts for practising with, eBay is usually my go to online store, but most on there seems pricey. To the point where I couldn't buy the raw material for the same cost as a fully CNC machined part from the USA including shipping...

I'm in the north west England, and can travel for a good supplier.

I have a local steel stock holder, but want to start on alu.

Would welcome any pointers please chaps.

njhussey
08-12-2016, 02:52 PM
I'm down in Gloucestershire so my local supplier, Taybroh Alloys, is a good way from you...

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Fivetide
08-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Where do you guys buy your aluminium for machining?

I'm after some offcuts for practising with, eBay is usually my go to online store, but most on there seems pricey. To the point where I couldn't buy the raw material for the same cost as a fully CNC machined part from the USA including shipping...

I'm in the north west England, and can travel for a good supplier.

I have a local steel stock holder, but want to start on alu.

Would welcome any pointers please chaps.

I live in Preston and I have struggled to find a good local Ali supplier, so far I have used eBay. If your looking for scrap lumps to mess with you could try Recycling Lives at Red Scar 01772 654321 They have a huge scrap recycling place and I've seen piles of ali outside. They may let you buy some bits off them.. not sure.

Clive S
08-12-2016, 04:53 PM
Where do you guys buy your aluminium for machining?Not the cheapest but I have found them OK.

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/p7/Aluminium_Flat_Bar/pages.html

JAZZCNC
08-12-2016, 07:38 PM
How big offcut.?

Dangle_kt
08-12-2016, 08:00 PM
Jazz CNC just some plate or square to start making some cuts into, reasonable thickness as I don't have much in the way of work holding. Maybe 10mm thick, and length/width any size really, as long as it's big enough to clamp down

JAZZCNC
08-12-2016, 08:29 PM
Jazz CNC just some plate or square to start making some cuts into, reasonable thickness as I don't have much in the way of work holding. Maybe 10mm thick, and length/width any size really, as long as it's big enough to clamp down

Ok well I've got some offcuts mostly 15-20mm that will let you have just cover postage. PM me your address and I'll Dig you some out but it will be next week now.
I'll sort you few different grades as well.

Dangle_kt
08-12-2016, 08:36 PM
Thanks Jazz, see pm :)

Tom J
31-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Not the cheapest but I have found them OK.

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/p7/Aluminium_Flat_Bar/pages.html

I buy from them, always +0..2mm with any dimension you give