PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Mild Steel Plate?

Chaz
29-12-2016, 11:11 PM
I am looking for 2 sections Mild Steel plate. I can get Alu tooling plate but its too expensive.

Looking at roughly 485 x 340 x 50mm. I'm not looking for a massive plate so cant buy from places like Parkers etc. Anyone able to help?

Thanks

ptjw7uk
30-12-2016, 12:28 AM
50mm thick is hardly a plate - nearest that size in ground was £539

Good luck

Peter

Web Goblin
30-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Getting a 50mm thick section that small might be a problem. Never seem 50mm plate in smaller than 4 x 2 mts. If you have a local profiler or supplier you might want to try them to see if they have any offcuts.
It will weight around 70KGs though.

Chaz
30-12-2016, 12:01 PM
50mm thick is hardly a plate - nearest that size in ground was £539

Good luck

Peter

What is plate then? The only 'definition' I know is from Click Metal where I tend to buy from. Anything sub 6mm is typically sheet, more is plate. Anyways, lets not get hung up about terminology.

I need to complete my Z Design for Thor, hence asking about where to source. Are we saying £540 roughly for a piece of metal that size? In that case, Ill need to use Alu. The weight is a bit of a concern but not too much either, suppose two of these, plus the concrete block to hold the spindle might all add up.

JAZZCNC
30-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Chaz have you thought about casting them in Aluminium then machining flat etc.? Or even having then Cast in Iron or steel.? May work out cheaper or same.

If you want side project the build smelter and cast your own. Few Old alloy wheels or cyclinder heads from scrap yard and your sorted.!!

Chaz
30-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Chaz have you thought about casting them in Aluminium then machining flat etc.? Or even having then Cast in Iron or steel.? May work out cheaper or same.

If you want side project the build smelter and cast your own. Few Old alloy wheels or cyclinder heads from scrap yard and your sorted.!!

Id love to but have no kit for it and limited space at the moment. In future if I was making more stuff Id consider that but all I have is a double garage. I'm already using the driveway which has become a mess and a peed off wife. One day when I have my place in the middle of nowhere, Ill be doing that for sure.

JAZZCNC
30-12-2016, 12:11 PM
What is plate then? The only 'definition' I know is from Click Metal where I tend to buy from.

That's why costing you so much money. Find local metal supplier think you'll find much cheaper. If can't find ask local engineering company.

Chaz
30-12-2016, 12:13 PM
That's why costing you so much money. Find local metal supplier think you'll find much cheaper.

I tried, I call around locally, they were all more expensive. Perhaps I need to find the 'small, not online' companies.

They dont do mildsteel at all but when I was looking for Alu etc, they tended to come up cheaper than most. Please check and compare to what you can get 'locally', be curious to know how they compare.

JAZZCNC
30-12-2016, 12:17 PM
They dont do mildsteel at all but when I was looking for Alu etc, they tended to come up cheaper than most. Please check and compare to what you can get 'locally', be curious to know how they compare.

Company I use is closed until Jan. What size and grade do you want me to check on.?

Chaz
30-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Company I use is closed until Jan. What size and grade do you want me to check on.?

Maybe take a look at www.clickmetal.co.uk and if you price up (its online, instant price) what you have bought before. The tooling plate is a bit more expensive but its fairly flat but if you look at the normal alu (its 6082), you can customise the size / thickness. http://www.clickmetal.co.uk/click-by-category/plate/aluminium-plate for a direct link.

Thanks

magicniner
30-12-2016, 12:27 PM
If you can't source thick plate can you use plug welding through alternating patterns of drilled holes to laminate several thinner plates into a suitably rigid assembly?
You might even get less resonance in a laminated assembly than a single plate?
Just thinking out loud,

- Nick

JAZZCNC
30-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Maybe take a look at www.clickmetal.co.uk and if you price up (its online, instant price) what you have bought before. T

Ah ah they want £246 + vat for 920 x 700 x 20mm standard 6082-T6 plate which is last size I bought just before Xmas. Think I paid £187 inc vat for Ground tooling plate.

Chaz
30-12-2016, 12:33 PM
If you can't source thick plate can you use plug welding through alternating patterns of drilled holes to laminate several thinner plates into a suitably rigid assembly?
You might even get less resonance in a laminated assembly than a single plate?
Just thinking out loud,

- Nick

Not sure what Plug welding is but I had considered welding up a few layers of say 10mm to make up what I need. Thanks. Certainly an option.

Chaz
30-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Ah ah they want £246 + vat for 920 x 700 standard 6082-T6 plate which is last size I bought just before Xmas. Think I paid £187 inc vat for Ground tooling plate.

Thanks, fair difference. I think we discussed this before but you 'local' doesnt really deliver outside of your area? The cost of transport for that plate, say £30 will still make it somewhat cheaper. Can you let me know who you buy from please?

Thanks Jazz.

JAZZCNC
30-12-2016, 12:36 PM
If want to go the casting route give these lads ring for quote.

http://www.smallcastings.co.uk/

JAZZCNC
30-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Can you let me know who you buy from please?

That came from ASC metals. Nearist to you is peterborough I think.

http://www.ascmetalsgroup.com/

Chaz
30-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Ah ah they want £246 + vat for 920 x 700 x 20mm standard 6082-T6 plate which is last size I bought just before Xmas. Think I paid £187 inc vat for Ground tooling plate.

Do they cut into smaller sizes? I dont have tools to cut large sheets, part of the issue. What is the best option for something to cut required sizes from thickish plates (like 25mm)?

mekanik
30-12-2016, 01:04 PM
A couple of 10mm plates welded as per Nick's recommendation and use 30/40mm square section on the edges for mounting your bearings or rails.Joining the plate is done by machining a pattern of holes in one of the plates you intend to join clean both matting faces and clamp them together then weld the inside the holes.
Regards
Mike

magicniner
30-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Not sure what Plug welding is but I had considered welding up a few layers of say 10mm to make up what I need. Thanks. Certainly an option.

Chaz,
Plug welding is welding through a hole and "plugging it".
Drill a pattern of holes diameter 2x thickness in one plate, clamp it to a second plate and weld through the holes in the first to the second plate and the hole walls, finishing by filling the holes then grinding flush.
Add further plates in the same way until the desired thickness is achieved, you could optionally weld around the outside,

- Nick

magicniner
30-12-2016, 01:18 PM
What is the best option for something to cut required sizes from thickish plates (like 25mm)?

Last time I did any work on heavy steel plate I had access to Oxy/Gas burning kit, the only thing I have now is my plasma cutter which is only rated for 13mm steel, I suspect you could rent a plasma cutter for a day from a tool hire outfit,

- Nick

JAZZCNC
30-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Do they cut into smaller sizes? I dont have tools to cut large sheets, part of the issue. What is the best option for something to cut required sizes from thickish plates (like 25mm)?

Yes they will cut to smaller sizes. I'll often buy Rectangular plates like for Z axis just slightly over size leaving just a finish pass. Less machine time this way.

Chaz
30-12-2016, 03:43 PM
Yes they will cut to smaller sizes. I'll often buy Rectangular plates like for Z axis just slightly over size leaving just a finish pass. Less machine time this way.

Yep, exactly what I need.

In my case, would you use Mild Steel or Alu for my Z setup? I suspect Mild Steel will be more suitable.

Jonathan
30-12-2016, 11:01 PM
I've used ASC - good service etc.

In my case, would you use Mild Steel or Alu for my Z setup?

Yes ;)

Aluminium is much easier to machine...

Chaz
31-12-2016, 12:53 AM
I've used ASC - good service etc.

Yes ;)

Aluminium is much easier to machine...

Yep, doesnt make it better though :-|

I could probably weld the plates up to leave the slot for the bearing / ballscrew. My Denford can do mild steel machining without too much of a problem - albeit fairly slow going.

JAZZCNC
31-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Yep, exactly what I need.

In my case, would you use Mild Steel or Alu for my Z setup? I suspect Mild Steel will be more suitable.

I'd go with steel if could work with it. However I'd only use it if could do it correctly which means will need heat treating and stress reliefing then grinding in critical places.
If you can't do this then you may find Ground tooling plate will be more accurate as it's already been heat treated and ground flat.

Plug welding will allow thinner plate to be used but all the above still applies and will require more work because all that heat will warp and put stresses into the whole assembly. If those are not released carefully then they will release eventually which will make for bad day when you do realise.!!

Jonathan
31-12-2016, 12:34 PM
I agree with all the points in the previous post, but will also add that the advantages of each material are quite slight, so you might as well pick the easy option and use aluminium.

Chaz
31-12-2016, 12:51 PM
I'd go with steel if could work with it. However I'd only use it if could do it correctly which means will need heat treating and stress reliefing then grinding in critical places.
If you can't do this then you may find Ground tooling plate will be more accurate as it's already been heat treated and ground flat.

Plug welding will allow thinner plate to be used but all the above still applies and will require more work because all that heat will warp and put stresses into the whole assembly. If those are not released carefully then they will release eventually which will make for bad day when you do realise.!!

Yep, this I cant do at home, so looks to me a limited option for me then.

komatias
31-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Chaz,

I am about to place an order with Misumi. If you do the leg work and find the part number for the piece you need I will order it for you.

http://www.misumi-europe.com/en/catalog/vona2/mech_material/M1401000000/M1401020000/

Regards

Chaz
31-12-2016, 03:37 PM
Chaz,

I am about to place an order with Misumi. If you do the leg work and find the part number for the piece you need I will order it for you.

http://www.misumi-europe.com/en/catalog/vona2/mech_material/M1401000000/M1401020000/

Regards

Thanks. Appreciated. Will take a look. When are you ordering?

komatias
31-12-2016, 05:31 PM
in 3-5 days from now

Chaz
31-12-2016, 06:17 PM
in 3-5 days from now

Thanks.

Chaz
31-12-2016, 07:03 PM
in 3-5 days from now

I assume you can see prices when logged in? No idea what the stuff costs that I am looking at, so may ask for a few options to be checked please.

komatias
01-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Happy new year! Yes i can see prices. A quick quote gave me around £50 for a ground plate iirc. Send me a pm with the part numbers and i will get you their prices from the site.

Chaz
03-01-2017, 01:17 PM
Hope I am doing this correctly.

Plate 1 - L-PNFNN-710-350-30 - This is under this section - EN AW-5052 Equiv. Configurable Aluminum Plates
Plate 2 - L-PNFNN-485-350-50 - also under Alu.

Is it possible to get the top plate (Plate 1) pricing in mild steel too please? I need to machine the Plate 2, so will stick with Alu for that.

I dont strictly need all 6 surfaces milled but it will help with alignment, very curious how nasty the pricing will be. Thanks.