PDA

View Full Version : New drill press. Which???

Snapper
04-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Frequent reader but first post here so sorry if it's in the wrong place. I have a chinese 2.2kw gantry CNC with all the bells and whistles which is adequate for most work I need to do however there are some work pieces that are either too big to fit under or too tough for the spindle, so I have decided to upgrade my pathetic, seldom used NuTool drill press for something a bit more substantial.

I'm looking for something with enough Z axis travel and accuracy to use a tapping head such as a tapmatic for tapping threads in aluminium. My budget isn't massive, maybe £400/£500, but there's so much crap out there and I don't know what to look for. Ideally a bench top drill but I wouldn't rule out a floor drill if the price was right.

Used or new isn't an issue but the budget would have to include collecting/delivery and whatever is needed to get it running true. I drive a VW Scirocco (tiny boot) so I'm limited in what I can collect myself.

Thanks for any advice much appreciated.

routercnc
04-01-2017, 07:41 PM
Frequent reader but first post here so sorry if it's in the wrong place. I have a chinese 2.2kw gantry CNC with all the bells and whistles which is adequate for most work I need to do however there are some work pieces that are either too big to fit under or too tough for the spindle, so I have decided to upgrade my pathetic, seldom used NuTool drill press for something a bit more substantial.

I'm looking for something with enough Z axis travel and accuracy to use a tapping head such as a tapmatic for tapping threads in aluminium. My budget isn't massive, maybe £400/£500, but there's so much crap out there and I don't know what to look for. Ideally a bench top drill but I wouldn't rule out a floor drill if the price was right.

Used or new isn't an issue but the budget would have to include collecting/delivery and whatever is needed to get it running true. I drive a VW Scirocco (tiny boot) so I'm limited in what I can collect myself.

Thanks for any advice much appreciated.

I have been using this Warco drill press for a while now and it is very good (post #6). I don't use a TapMatic head but still very successfully tap threads in aluminum 'by hand' using the chuck to support the tap to get it started.

This drill press, in common with most, has a fraction of a mm side to side freeplay in the spindle, especially when extended, so don't know if this affects TapMatic operation or not?

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7699-metalworking-pillar-drill-experiences?highlight=drill+press

It is a solid well made unit, well within your budget and delivery is free. After sales is also very good.

Clive S
04-01-2017, 08:38 PM
After sales is also very good.

I reluctantly have to disagree as I have purchased quite a bit of stuff from them including a WM18 and wanted to changed the spindle to R8 it took weeks to get a quote after numerous calls they just weren't interested and told me it would take 3 months to get one.

routercnc
04-01-2017, 11:43 PM
I reluctantly have to disagree as I have purchased quite a bit of stuff from them including a WM18 and wanted to changed the spindle to R8 it took weeks to get a quote after numerous calls they just weren't interested and told me it would take 3 months to get one.

Sorry to hear that Clive. Well I can only go on my own experiences and they have been good. I've bought lots of smaller stuff from them plus the drill and lathe. I've made numerous technical enquiries about things prior to purchase and after purchase for that I needed to check on, and swapped out a DRO etc. with no issues at all and quick responses. Been to the HQ for the open days and chatted to them, plus at the shows. Seem very friendly and accommodating. But good to get all views and experiences so the OP can make a choice :smile:

magicniner
05-01-2017, 10:50 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Naerok-Pillar-Drill-Floor-Standing-3-phase-model-P1D19P-0-75-capacity-75K-/142221142184?hash=item211d0a68a8:g:HPsAAOSw241YXFg 6

1hp floor standing, even adding delivery and a good quality inverter plus new motor (if it needs one) that's still within your budget.

If you keep your eyes open the occasional round column Mill/Drill also comes up within your budget, my floor standing Mill/Drill was around £400 and has around 4 feet under the quill for large jobs ;-)

- Nick

Clive S
05-01-2017, 11:39 AM
Sorry to hear that Clive. Well I can only go on my own experiences and they have been good. I've bought lots of smaller stuff from them plus the drill and lathe. I've made numerous technical enquiries about things prior to purchase and after purchase for that I needed to check on, and swapped out a DRO etc. with no issues at all and quick responses. Been to the HQ for the open days and chatted to them, plus at the shows. Seem very friendly and accommodating. But good to get all views and experiences so the OP can make a choice :smile:

Yes having said that I can't knock the quality of the stuff that I have bought and I am happy with it.

Chaz
05-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Ive got one of the el cheapo units with the slop in the headstock. It works but not well. Will be looking to see if I can improve it over the coming days - Ive seen a vid of someone that turns a new headstock with better tolerances and replaces the unit with a somewhat marked improvement.

Snapper
05-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm not in any way, shape or form an engineer or even trained, I just buy these tools and figure out the rest for myself. As such I'm not clued up on what to look out for and what to avoid, which manufacturers are reputable and which are the same tat sold under different brands for wildly varying prices.

A mill / drill was ideally what I wanted, but they come with a price tag. The Sieg SX2/2.7 in particular was what I had been looking for (2nd hand) but one never popped up. These things usually tend to go on sale on forums, and are sold within a day of being posted so it's difficult to catch them.

After having recently received 40 faulty components which need seized steel inserts drilling out and replacing ASAP (they don't fit under the NuTool when clamped with a drill bit in the chuck, and I doubt it'd be up to it anyway) the matter has become more pressing so I'm probably going to have to settle for a straight out drill.

I remember reading your thread a few months back routercnc, when I first thought about getting a proper drill.

routercnc
05-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Ive got one of the el cheapo units with the slop in the headstock. It works but not well. Will be looking to see if I can improve it over the coming days - Ive seen a vid of someone that turns a new headstock with better tolerances and replaces the unit with a somewhat marked improvement.

Sounds like 'this old tony' on YouTube. He upgraded a cheap drill press with a new quill (just for fun mainly). Not what the OP wants but good viewing anyway.

Chaz
05-01-2017, 05:18 PM
Sounds like 'this old tony' on YouTube. He upgraded a cheap drill press with a new quill (just for fun mainly). Not what the OP wants but good viewing anyway.

Thanks, ill go find it and see what was involved.

routercnc
05-01-2017, 10:01 PM
Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fyzZ7NGap8

Chaz
05-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fyzZ7NGap8

Thanks. That frame and setup is almost identical to mine. My start buttons are on the side but its virtually identical.

Boyan Silyavski
05-01-2017, 11:19 PM
I would buy a mini mill instead for that money. An used one. And fashion some pillar and stand if such big clearance is needed. Or hunt for a serious industrial one from a scrap yard. It should be more than 150-200 from there. In fact thats exactly what i did/ the mini mill with a round column/ and could not be more happier.

Snapper
06-01-2017, 09:53 AM
I would buy a mini mill instead for that money. An used one. And fashion some pillar and stand if such big clearance is needed. Or hunt for a serious industrial one from a scrap yard. It should be more than 150-200 from there. In fact thats exactly what i did/ the mini mill with a round column/ and could not be more happier.

As mentioned it's exactly what I wanted, I know you can get them within budget but I never saw one, only those really cheap tacky looking Proxxon mills.

Big clearance isn't needed, just more than the 165mm my current one has. Bench top is ideal, floor standing is ok. 280mm clearance should be more than enough.

No floor space for a real mill, and to be honest it would be overkill for the usage it would get anyway. That said, when you have the tools, you always find something to use them for.

I need to make a decision on this sooner rather than later, the Warco drill is currently odds on.

Boyan Silyavski
06-01-2017, 11:05 AM
Now its not the best time to buy such things. From experience. Only after a week or two things will start to show on fleabay. I personally bough near new BF-65 Hobbymat, and i know that could be had for the money you are willing to spend, around 500GBP. Now i only see a Clarke Metalworker CMD 1225C 240v Mill Drill Milling Machine for 800. Some patience and you will find the one

black5f
18-01-2017, 09:01 PM
If you're in a rush and a one off, I have a floor standing Meddings Pillar in North Northamptonshire which you are welcome to use. About 3ft throat and accurate for 60 years old, used it to drill some 1mm dias other day. PM me if you need.
T

Snapper
21-01-2017, 10:53 AM
If you're in a rush and a one off, I have a floor standing Meddings Pillar in North Northamptonshire which you are welcome to use. About 3ft throat and accurate for 60 years old, used it to drill some 1mm dias other day. PM me if you need.
T

Thank you for the offer! I appreciate it. I last night shook hands with my friend who decided to part with his bema floor standing drill for what I think is a good price of £200. It needs a few small bits and bobs but nothin major.