PDA

View Full Version : Do you grease HiWin rail Sliders?

AndrewMawson
08-01-2017, 09:04 PM
I've been rebuilding a second hand gantry plasma table that uses rack and pinion drive and HiWin rails and sliders. I notice looking at the HiWin literature that the sliders are fitted with 6 mm threaded holes for grease nipples, but the holes on my sliders are fitted with blanking plugs.

Should one grease these things on a plasma table, or will all the grime just stick to it. I can see the argument that a pump of grease pushes muck out of the assembly - it's the same argument on earth moving equipment - but what is the consensus - to grease or not to grease?

I'd very much welcome your views.

Boyan Silyavski
09-01-2017, 03:30 PM
They sell double seals , for better dust isolation. I personally grease them. Some people oil them and some even fit oil pump and make an oiling system connecting the nipples to the pump, search ebay. I believe that would be the better option for plasma, as it will constantly flush the dirt out.

Its easy to DIY also and is cheap. Just use PU hose which is more temp resistant.

Jonathan
09-01-2017, 04:15 PM
Certainly at least grease them. Also don't forget the plastic covers for the screw holes in the rails - else that's an easy path for debris to work it's way in.