PDA

View Full Version : Wabeco F1410LF vs Warco WM18 vs Sieg X3

abfa9358
01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Hi,
I'm thinking of upgrading from my X2 mill to something a bit bigger. Currently, I'm considering the :

Wabeco F1410LF
Warco WM18
Sieg SX3

Machining duties will range from PCB drilling to machining mild steel. I will also convert the machine to CNC following the success of the X2 conversion.

I would be grateful to hear any comments/experiences that people may have had with the above machines.
Thanks in advance.
Andy

abfa9358
01-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks Kip. Do you think the WABECO is really worth the extra money for home/hobby work?
Andy

abfa9358
01-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Yes, read the review a few times now! Certainly reads well, just a bit worried about the Far Eastern nature of Warco's machines, as far as I can tell the WM18 is a Weiss WMD30V http://www.weiss.com.cn/products/wmd30v.php. My minimill is pretty ropey in a lot of places and I'd rather spend a bit more for a quality machine. My lathe is a Boxford and although old (inherited from my Father) the quality shines through.
Regards
Andy

John S
01-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Why not go the whole hog and get a Tormach ?

I think you have chosen in the correct order but they are also priced in the same order, no free lunches, today or tomorrow.

If money is no object then go for it, on the list you have given the only way I'd justify working from the X3 up is the X3 is the most converted machine in the UK, plenty of experience of doing it at least 3 ways and there are conversion parts available.

None for the Warco and very little published about it but the Wabeco should be easier given it's on ball screws already? if it's that model ?

abfa9358
02-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Its an ME10 with power crossfeed sccrew cutting gear box etc purchased new by my late Father around 1980. Machine sounds to be in a similar condition to yours and was used during the construction of various 71/4" gauge steam locos.