PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please - You No There's No Short Supply On Here

CNCKitMan
10-02-2017, 06:57 AM
OK So i just saw this on eBbbbbbay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VARIABLE-FREQUENCY-DRIVE-INVERTER-VFD-AND-WATER-AIR-COOLED-SPINDLE-MOTOR-/400985744842?var=&hash=item5d5c9ce5ca).

What do you think.
for cutting of as many materials as possible no more than say 16mm in thickness (derr).

Clive S
10-02-2017, 09:48 AM
OK So i just saw this on eBbbbbbay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VARIABLE-FREQUENCY-DRIVE-INVERTER-VFD-AND-WATER-AIR-COOLED-SPINDLE-MOTOR-/400985744842?var=&hash=item5d5c9ce5ca).

What do you think.
for cutting of as many materials as possible no more than say 16mm in thickness (derr).There are several on that site!! 3Kw might be to too much for your macnine

Neale
10-02-2017, 10:13 AM
I used a 2.2KW water-cooled spindle on my first MDF-built machine. OTT but I was expecting to re-use it on the mk2. However, it was responsible for warping the Z platform over time - too heavy and vastly over-powered (although it's now working fine on the mk2 which is strong enough to take it). That particular supplier only has 3KW spindles in stock which would be silly, and I was a bit confused that they are being despatched from "CA, United Kingdom". Based on my experience, if you want to go for a water-cooled spindle (much quieter and better for long runs than a simple router) I would go for the smallest model as being better matched to a timber-built machine. Limited collet size but you aren't going to be able to use large cutters anyway.

CNCKitMan
10-02-2017, 12:54 PM
I used a 2.2KW water-cooled spindle on my first MDF-built machine. OTT but I was expecting to re-use it on the mk2. However, it was responsible for warping the Z platform over time - too heavy and vastly over-powered (although it's now working fine on the mk2 which is strong enough to take it). That particular supplier only has 3KW spindles in stock which would be silly, and I was a bit confused that they are being despatched from "CA, United Kingdom". Based on my experience, if you want to go for a water-cooled spindle (much quieter and better for long runs than a simple router) I would go for the smallest model as being better matched to a timber-built machine. Limited collet size but you aren't going to be able to use large cutters anyway.

OK so OTT is the general reply so far. I'm hearing it will shake rattle n roll my parts of my machine.
I'm looking for a spindle that will carry with me to my next stage. 1.5 k.w. - 2+K.w. is my thinking.
I don't mind the spindle killing my current machine as long as it teaches me what to make stronger on the upgrade.

magicniner
10-02-2017, 01:08 PM
You could use a tool balancer at ceiling height to take a large percentage of the spindle weight, the side component of the tension in the line shouldn't affect a machine with limited X & Y travel

Clive S
10-02-2017, 02:15 PM
OK so OTT is the general reply so far. I'm hearing it will shake rattle n roll my parts of my machine.
I'm looking for a spindle that will carry with me to my next stage. 1.5 k.w. - 2+K.w. is my thinking.
I don't mind the spindle killing my current machine as long as it teaches me what to make stronger on the upgrade.2.2Kw is the one most people seem to use but the 1.5Kw are Ok as well it is worth going for the water cooled version as they are very quiet.

Doddy
10-02-2017, 04:24 PM
2.2kW have the advantage of the ER20 collet size, of course.

Neale
10-02-2017, 05:21 PM
2.2kW have the advantage of the ER20 collet size, of course.

...which is worth having. I've just been using a 2" bottom-clearing bit on a 1/2" shank which needs an ER20 collet. Mind you, the old MDF-built router would never have managed it!

CNCKitMan
11-02-2017, 11:16 AM
...which is worth having. I've just been using a 2" bottom-clearing bit on a 1/2" shank which needs an ER20 collet. Mind you, the old MDF-built router would never have managed it!

Challenge accepted!

Cut more than cake challenge - completed
Take a 2.2Kw Spindle - In Progress

lol

magicniner
11-02-2017, 03:44 PM
Nothing stops you limiting bit size with rigidity and having a spindle that's ready for your next machine ;-)

Boyan Silyavski
11-02-2017, 07:36 PM
If you have or plan to make a rigid machine, 3kw is better. Some extra speed and power does not hurt.