PDA

View Full Version : Z axis problem

Kev2960
17-02-2017, 12:13 AM
Hi there, I'm having some weird things going on with the Z on my new machine. I set the tool up to zero on the top of the work surface but when the program is running the tool is about 3mm above. I've run the same on my machine at work and it's fine, any body know what's going on ?

jq_quint
17-02-2017, 07:11 AM
Kev - your 100% on your g-code (goes down to z zero) - sorry I have to ask...
Any offsets in your tool tables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kev2960
17-02-2017, 08:30 AM
Yeah I think so everything is set to zero except G54 which reads 41.075mm. I've even set the the gauge block setting to zero
I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what. But as I've said the program runs ok on my machine at work

Clive S
17-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Hi there, I'm having some weird things going on with the Z on my new machine. I set the tool up to zero on the top of the work surface but when the program is running the tool is about 3mm above. I've run the same on my machine at work and it's fine, any body know what's going on ?
Kev It is difficult for people to know how to answer if they have to start looking back through your posts to find out what you have done before or even what machine you have.

So how about keeping all the posts in one place as that would make it easier to follow. You need to supply more info and the procedure you have used to zero the tool etc. Even a sample of the first 20 lines of the gcode might help.

Steel
17-02-2017, 09:01 PM

Router cnc im guessing maybe your router moved or your cutting tool ? i would check your backlash and if all good there then do what i do something like swear a lot and call it names lol... Mach3 ?

Kev2960
17-02-2017, 09:05 PM
Yep mach 3....I did swear a lot
Thanks for your reply

Steel
19-02-2017, 04:58 PM
You could calibrate the z axis in mach3, I just cut a part set the tool height to 0 set the cut depth to 19mm but it would only cut 17mm then i figured out it was the z axis calibration in mach3 that needed setting problem fixed !!

Kev2960
19-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Thanks I'll give that a go,

Malcolm
19-02-2017, 05:40 PM
You could calibrate the z axis in mach3, I just cut a part set the tool height to 0 set the cut depth to 19mm but it would only cut 17mm then i figured out it was the z axis calibration in mach3 that needed setting problem fixed !!

I have a chinese 6060 CNC.
It started to give problems with the Z Axis.
I eventually found the solution. The motor for Z is coonected to the shaft with a linc with 4 Allen key grub screws. By chance I found that two of the grub screws had never been fully tightened. As soon as did this everything worked perfectly. I suggest you give it a try. Of course this might not be your problem...Good luck Malcolm

JAZZCNC
19-02-2017, 07:37 PM
I have a chinese 6060 CNC.
It started to give problems with the Z Axis.
I eventually found the solution. The motor for Z is coonected to the shaft with a linc with 4 Allen key grub screws. By chance I found that two of the grub screws had never been fully tightened. As soon as did this everything worked perfectly. I suggest you give it a try. Of course this might not be your problem...Good luck Malcolm

This is the most likely cause.!
Another would be that that axis is binding or motors are over tuned. Both these things would cause your problem.

When you say use it at work are you using same this machine or another just like it.?
If it's this machine are you using same computer at work.?

Kev2960
19-02-2017, 09:00 PM
No the machine I use at work is a full blown machine, what I meant was I've run that particular program on the machine at work

JAZZCNC
19-02-2017, 10:02 PM
No the machine I use at work is a full blown machine, what I meant was I've run that particular program on the machine at work

Ok then you've answered the question that it's not the G-code so can only be one of few things. probabilty in this order.
#1 Lose motor connector
#2 Binding axis
#3 Motors over tuned
#4 Electrical noise
#5 Lose wires
#6 Pc parallel port issue.

Can of guiness says it's lose motor connector.!

Kev2960
19-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Thank you I some thing to go at now