PDA

View Full Version : rs stepper motors

chaz@2b
02-08-2009, 07:49 PM
This is my first time on this forum and i need some help with the rs440-420 stepper motors that i wish to connect up to controller boards that i purchased from RoutoutCNC. these motors come with 6 wires colour coded,brown,brown,yellow,red,blue,white. I need to know which wire is which as i have no paperwork as to there use, incidently, i do have about 65 of these motors so if anyone is interested,maybe we could swap WHY?.here's hoping,chaz@2b

HiltonSteve
02-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Might be stating the obvious here but usually RS supply data sheets for their products.

Had a quick look and found this - http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/001c/0900766b8001c018.pdf

Any good??

chaz@2b
02-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm very thankfull for your reply,however I must warn you of my lack of knowledge in regards to stepper motors...zilch!!! The info does not tell me the colour use i.e direction-step and motor connections,I don't know if I would end up destroying the boards if I use the 'try it anyway'. techique, The diagrams supplied for the controller boards do not state the colour , only.. direction-step-2b,2a-1b,1a so I am at a lost which goes where. My intentions for these motors is to construct a router for helping me in my hobby of aircraft modelling cutting woods of upto 1/4" thick. I will appreciate any help to this end.chaz@2b

HiltonSteve
02-08-2009, 10:19 PM
If you read the datasheet carefully which I attached the link to then you will see it tells you the phase colours and even shows a wiring diagram of how to wire them up.

If you are still not sure then keep asking...

HankMcSpank
03-08-2009, 02:23 PM
What they said, but if you want more meat on the bones, here are the wire colours for your steppers for connecting up to your board...

A White
A- Red

B Blue
B- Yellow

The Browns aren't used (hence Kip saying ignore them). If it transpires your steppers move the wrong way, this can be adjusted with the direction setting your CNC s/w (which is what Kip said too!). In fact why am I typing this at all, oh I know...I like the sound of my own keys, click, click, clickety, click, blah blah "Nurse, more medication please"....

BillTodd
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM
In fact why am I typing this at all,

We rely on you for translation at times ;)

Robin Hewitt
04-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but 5mNm is about enough to pull the skin off a rice pudding so long as you get in quick before it congeals :whistling:

chaz@2b
04-08-2009, 02:59 PM
cheers, it takes a little while for the info to sink thru my thick porridge, i have now sused it,next bit is to couple it up to a suitable psu, i`ve noticed people mentioning computor psu any info on that line will help,is 12volts sufficient for my steppers?

irving2008
04-08-2009, 11:33 PM
cheers, it takes a little while for the info to sink thru my thick porridge, i have now sused it,next bit is to couple it up to a suitable psu, i`ve noticed people mentioning computor psu any info on that line will help,is 12volts sufficient for my steppers?12v will work to prove the motors turn, but for any real work you'll need 24 - 36v, depending on your drivers... what drivers are you using?

irving2008
04-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but 5mNm is about enough to pull the skin off a rice pudding so long as you get in quick before it congeals :whistling:Maybe my translation is poor, but I though these were 70mNm

John S
04-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Nope, Page 2
5 volt 0.5 Amp , 5mNm in a type 17 frame, that means 17 needed to get a decent erection.

irving2008
05-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Nope, Page 2
5 volt 0.5 Amp , 5mNm in a type 17 frame, that means 17 needed to get a decent erection.
Must be these new glasses....

RS440-420 5v, 0.5A, 10ohm, detent torque 5mNm, holding torque 70mNm

John S
05-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Lend us them glasses :smile:

I blame these new fangled measurement why can't they just say 10 oz in and we all know then that we are talking about quick setting custard.

Robin Hewitt
05-08-2009, 01:50 AM
I blame these new fangled measurement why can't they just say 10 oz in and we all know then that we are talking about quick setting custard.

5mNm is 0.7 oz.in

Rice puddings only, finer particle colloids will probably defeat it :naughty:

John S
05-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Irving is correct, those motors are 5mNm detent torque which is the power needed to overcome the parked position.
Holding torque which is 70mNm or 10 oz/in is the normal method of sizing steppers by torque.

Still puny in anyone's book, more suitable of positioning that cutting under a load.

irving2008
05-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Back to the OP requirements and our collective pragmatic experience, what would we suggest as regards these motors for 'cutting balsa wood up to 1/4" thick"?

It would seem he has a few of these available (work parts bin?), but obviously traverse speed and depth of cut is going to be severely limited even with a fast spindle and a single flute cutter.

The likely use is repetitive cutting of wing rib parts (I know that was the bit I never managed to get right often enough) but is the OP on a hiding to nothing or should he at least give it a try.

Constructive views?

Personally I'd give it a go as a learning exercise, but not be too dissappointed that I'd need to upgrade to bigger (NEMA23) motors pretty much straight away.

Chaz, can you tell us more about the rest of your router design?

templecorran
05-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but 5mNm is about enough to pull the skin off a rice pudding so long as you get in quick before it congeals :whistling:
Sorry Robin,
What data sheet you looking at?
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=440-420&x=15&y=12
The page for this motor shows 70mNm, apart from that I agree totally, well perhaps it would move it semi congealed:heehee:

Robin Hewitt
05-08-2009, 11:36 PM
I refer the honourable Gentleman to the reply I made earlier :heehee:

templecorran
06-08-2009, 09:22 AM
oh holy crap

templecorran
06-08-2009, 11:05 PM
oh holy crap is a quote from Achmed the Dead Terrorist, played by Jeff Dunham.
OKOK It only took me 14 hours to remember where I heard it before!