PDA

View Full Version : Rails and Series extrusions

CrazeUK
28-02-2017, 03:53 AM
Hey Guys.

So a few things..
I noticed my machine had extrusions which where double mounted to make them far taller than needs be.
So today i have taken the extensions off, leaving me with a frame i cant attach to the MDF board.

I presume Sliding nuts / t slots would be fine if i made approximately 5 holes on either side of the 1 meter x 1 meter board?

So having looked at the various types of nuts, i cant seem to work out the extrusion type/series.

The rails i have are 20mm x 80mm.

How can you tell the major differences1?

Clive S
28-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Sorry crystal ball is still broke. How about some pics.

CrazeUK
28-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Sorry crystal ball is still broke. How about some pics.

Yeah that would have been good lol.

Attached 20921

CrazeUK
03-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Any ideas? Also, right now the bottom frame is mounted on MDF. I want to swap this to at least aluminium or steel struts, how would I go about doing that?

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Greeny
03-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Think its v-slot linear rail
See http://ooznest.co.uk/Linear-Rails
They have all sorts of brackets & fixings, hopefully there should be some of use
Cheers

CrazeUK
04-03-2017, 04:25 AM
Think its v-slot linear rail
See http://ooznest.co.uk/Linear-Rails
They have all sorts of brackets & fixings, hopefully there should be some of use
Cheers

Wow thanks Greeny, The prices look great too!
Now for the structural engineering bit.

Should i go for a steel struts or Aluminum struts like:

Or Others (if you know a better formation).

I am thinking by going for struts, i can extend to 1500mm and just add more struts and extend the rails.

Greeny
04-03-2017, 11:11 AM
No probs :-)
My preference would be as shown in the picture, with a base of birch plywood(or other material) bolted to the cross members to add extra rigidity and act as a support for spoilboard/piece holding.
Hopefully some others with more experience (ie nearly everyone here!) will offer their advice.

Cheers