PDA

View Full Version : How Not To Sell a Lathe - eBay Howler Alert

magicniner
28-02-2017, 10:43 AM
It seems that if you don't normally sell machinery you might think it a good idea to try selling a lathe finished with an attractive patination of Hammerite, Rust and Shite whilst at the same time pricing it several hundred pounds higher than some very nice looking examples of the same model.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MYFORD-SUPER-7-LATHE-HENRY-MATHESON-SON-/381952147171?hash=item58ee1f3ee3:g:5YQAAOSwbwlXBTG k

On the other hand they might actually be fairly smart and have worked out that it would look far worse clean :D

Doddy
28-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Not a bad price for a Super 7 - the only cheaper one (ex-college, looking good) is on auction, not B-O, I'd expect any S7 to go for rather more than a grand. For anyone in the market it would be worth a look under the superficial surface grime - could be a good fixer-upper. The sellers look like they do house clearances - might be worth an inspection and a cheeky offer ("tssssk, chuck too small, mate, no live centre, £650 and I'm cutting my own throat")

Boyan Silyavski
28-02-2017, 10:50 PM
its an old rusty boy, in poor shape.

terry1956
28-02-2017, 11:40 PM
£1000 for a heap of rust. myfords are very overrated. I used one like many others at collage and tech back in the 70,s. and when I went into model engineering purchased a myford because that was the lathe I knew. had a go on a mates Colchester bantam and the myford was gone the same week. o and my super 7 was like new and I sold it for £780 3 years back, the bantam also like new with power slides was £550 and worth it and more, a total joy to use and parting off is now a thing of joy.

ptjw7uk
01-03-2017, 12:15 AM
Looking at the prices of everything else on the site its all WELL over priced!

magicniner
01-03-2017, 05:06 PM
Looking at the prices of everything else on the site its all WELL over priced!

Ah, you have to know what you're looking for and check regularly, searching intelligently, I've had some real engineering bargains in the last few months ;-)

bikepete
01-03-2017, 11:20 PM
That Myford's nothing. Check out this £700 beauty (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harrison-Lathe-Single-Phase-WORKING-/272567534569?hash=item3f764a83e9:g:lO4AAOSwSlBYsAq i):

That tin of Quality Street had a lucky escape...

Neale
01-03-2017, 11:36 PM
The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear...

terry1956
01-03-2017, 11:38 PM
the prick even sprayed the drill bit for gods sake. it makes me mad when these sort of people try to wreak my hobby by passing on junk like this.

magicniner
02-03-2017, 10:03 AM
The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear...

That's where the blue eyeliner has worn thin in the ways :D

cropwell
02-03-2017, 10:49 AM
That Myford's nothing. Check out this £700 beauty (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harrison-Lathe-Single-Phase-WORKING-/272567534569?hash=item3f764a83e9:g:lO4AAOSwSlBYsAq i):

That tin of Quality Street had a lucky escape...

That is a rare thing, a left-handed lathe !!

magicniner
02-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Not a bad price for a Super 7 - the only cheaper one (ex-college, looking good) is on auction, not B-O, I'd expect any S7 to go for rather more than a grand.

I watch the prices that they actually sell for because I have a vague interest in tracking sale prices

[STANDS UP TO ADDRESS THE MEETING] My name is Nick and I am a Myford Super 7-aholic [SITS DOWN AGAIN]

and without a gearbox they don't often make a grand unless (i) accompanied by substantial tooling and accessories or (ii) they have hardened ways or (iii) they are the long bed variant.
Consider also that if a lower offer is accepted by a seller eBay systems still show the final price as the Buy It Now Price :O

I'm not actually Joined at the Hip to my Super 7, it has simply always done what I need it to do, up until the point where I could no longer manage with it's puny through capacity, even with it being the long bed version.

At the point when I was shopping for something larger a converted head became available, with 30.5mm through capacity and roller bearings (limiting speed to around 8000rpm!). Given the alternative of shopping for a suitable replacement, getting it running right and tooling it up to match the Myford, whilst still running the Myford for everyday jobs, before finally swapping out & selling the Myford the choice was easy.

My observation is that with a roller bearing head all the issues with "rigidity" seem to have disappeared. This lead me to the conclusion that the primary issue is not rigidity but the break-down under excess pressure/inadequate speed in the hydro-dynamic front bearing on the standard S7 and that only once this is forced off-centre does the work "climb" into the tooling and apply excessive force to the tool, holder, tool post, slides and ways.

Apologies for going off at a Tangent ;-)

- Nick

cropwell
02-03-2017, 10:54 AM
A mate of mine has got his grandads old lathe sitting on his garage floor. It looks as though it has been stored underwater for 50 years ! Great patina !! Must be worth £1,500 as a base for a coffee table in a trendy Chelsea apartment.

I'll see if he wants to eBay it and I will split the profit :barbershop_quartet_