PDA

View Full Version : Feeler FTL 618 Lathe

pfincham
03-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Hi Guys, I am just about to start renovating a 1987 Feeler FTL618 lathe ( Hardinge Copy). So that I can get this thing running on a 240volt supply I need to get a 3 phase inverter.
Do any of you have a wiring diagram and can you recommend a suitable inverter.
Thanks
Pete

bikepete
03-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Nice lathe. If the motor is 2 speed that may complicate...

Several single phase conversions have been written up over at the Hardinge forum on Practical Machinist BTW, may take some searching to find them though.

BillTodd
03-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Have a look at the end of my Hardinge rebuild thread. I've posted diagrams of the VFD speed switch etc.

Renovating a Hardinge HLV-H - MYCNCUK

There's also Randy's (CNCzone.com-The Ultimate Machinist Community) Feeler FSM 59 rebuild on cnc zone (with diagrams) here:

Feeler FSM-59 conversion - CNCzone.com-The Ultimate Machinist Community

Do you have a dual voltage motor? My HLV did not, so I had to use a step-up transformer and a 415v VFD.

Oh and post pictures or else.... ;)

pfincham
04-08-2009, 03:49 PM
OK, thanks for the info, I have read Bills stuff and guess I better have a better look at the motor. Silly me, I thought this would be a no brainer.

I'll get some pictures, should have started with the four of us getting it across the lawn on rollers, but hey! plenty more to come.

Maybe I should start a new thread and put the complete rebuild on it, what do you guys think.

BillTodd
04-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Maybe I should start a new thread and put the complete rebuild on it, what do you guys think.

I think that's the way to go.:)

HiltonSteve
04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
I bought a Leinen lathe a few weeks back only to find that it had a 3 speed motor on it, after speaking to a few people it turned out that my only real option was a rotary phase inverter.

3HP version - £500....!!!! ouch... and that was after knocking him down on price.

Thing is I can now run any 3 phase machine off of it (under 3hp) which gives me a bit of flexibility.

Hopefully you won't need to go down that route.....

BillTodd
04-08-2009, 06:35 PM
I bought a Leinen lathe a few weeks back only to find that it had a 3 speed motor on it, after speaking to a few people it turned out that my only real option was a rotary phase inverter.

3HP version - £500....!!!! ouch... and that was after knocking him down on price.

Thing is I can now run any 3 phase machine off of it (under 3hp) which gives me a bit of flexibility.

Hopefully you won't need to go down that route.....

£500's not that bad.

3hp going to be expensive whether take the simple route and use a RPC or go my way with switches and a VFD (it's amusing to see people's surprise at the Hardinge with a 13A plug :))