PDA

View Full Version : Laser exhaust filtration...

Davek0974
24-04-2017, 03:45 PM
I am looking to filter my laser exhaust so i can cut with the windows closed, it seems this is possible with carbon filters, has anyone made a home-brew filter using the carbon hydroponic filter tubes - these are pretty cheap, have a post-filter cloth on them and i should think a box with two or three 4-5" units on them would suit a 6" blower from the laser?

Better to use multiple smaller filters as the 6" ones are expensive and with multiple units you get more surface area easily/cheaper.

My plan is to build it under the laser in the empty space between the legs.

Any thoughts??

magicniner
25-04-2017, 12:16 PM
That sounds like it should work, would it be worth running the exhaust through a couple of re-usable oiled reticulated foam filters to reduce the level of particulates first?

Davek0974
25-04-2017, 12:59 PM
Yes would need pre-filter for the big muck, was looking at fitting a HEPA filter.

magicniner
25-04-2017, 01:10 PM
I once worked in a business which used electrostatic filters to take smoke particles out of air, I don't know if it's a viable home shop option.

Davek0974
25-04-2017, 01:14 PM
We used to have those units at work when the canteen was smoking permitted, they did work surprisingly well but were pretty big.