PDA

View Full Version : Nema 23 smooth shaft mountings?

Desertboy
02-05-2017, 06:00 AM
Hi, I recovered 2 nema 23's from a printer they had cogs pressed onto them I had to use a hydraulic press to remove the shafts (They were on so hard it broke the m5 stainless steel bolt I first tried to use so had to use an m6 which bent but did manage to release them eventually.

The motors work fine so I was wondering about coupling to my ballscrews when they arrive, my nema 17's have a flat spot on the round shaft to increase grip when mounting the motor's.

Should I
1. Try to file the motor's shafts down?
2. Not file the shaft down and use the couplings as is with the round shaft? This is easiest but how much will it affect power or skipped steps?
3. Have some new couplings custom made with the motor mount side a tight fit and hydraulic pressure fit them to the motors?

Thanks

Clive S
02-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Should I
1. Try to file the motor's shafts down?
2. Not file the shaft down and use the couplings as is with the round shaft? This is easiest but how much will it affect power or skipped steps?
3. Have some new couplings custom made with the motor mount side a tight fit and hydraulic pressure fit them to the motors?

1. You can grind a flat on the shaft with a dremel type tool.
2. Couplings like these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/A106A-5pcs-lot-Nema23-Nema17-6-35mm-to-6-35mm-CNC-Step-Motor-Flexible-Coupling-6/485607827.html can be used.
3. Press fitting is not a good idea.

Have you thought about keeping all your questions in one place on the build log that would make it easier to keep track of. Good luck with the build.