PDA

View Full Version : MPG Jog interface for Mach3

HiltonSteve
09-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I want to build a pendant style jog control for my router and wondered if anyone had any ideas or parts.

Just want a simple jog control to jog machine, switch between axis's and change jog mode as setting jobs up using the keyboard is getting a pain in the arse.

Would like a rotary style mpg as found on cnc mills/lathes etc not joystick type as I have looked around and seen people using xbox controllers etc but not really what I want.

I could make the housing for it but need all the bits to go in it, any ideas anyone??

John S
09-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Get a contour shuttle express, download the plug in from the downloads page and you are away.

No MadIO boards or 10,000 miles of cables, buttons, wheels and peripheries.

Plugs into a spare USB port and has 2 jog wheels and 5 programmable buttons.

You can set one button to step thru the axis X, Y, Z etc one for X, Y, and Z and the last for step increments.

Centre jog wheel moves in selected steps, out wheel is spring loaded and moves faster as you hold it round.

Borrow one if you want but I want the bastard back.

HiltonSteve
09-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Get a contour shuttle express, download the plug in from the downloads page and you are away.

No MadIO boards or 10,000 miles of cables, buttons, wheels and peripheries.

Plugs into a spare USB port and has 2 jog wheels and 5 programmable buttons.

You can set one button to step thru the axis X, Y, Z etc one for X, Y, and Z and the last for step increments.

Centre jog wheel moves in selected steps, out wheel is spring loaded and moves faster as you hold it round.

Borrow one if you want but I want the bastard back.

Sounds just the job...

Tell you what, i'll come round this afternoon (if your about) to 'borrow it'. How long will it be before the borrow period expires??

John S
09-08-2009, 12:09 PM
tonight...................

HankMcSpank
09-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Have to agree, the contours are great!

I had one lying in my drawer - I'd previously already bought the thing to control a Digitial recording App called Cubase (it was meant to speed up my workflow, but I never got it working very well within Cubase) ...I couldn't believe my luck when I read that the Contours integrate into Mach3 just fine - out the drawer it came & my oh my what a difference it makes to the end user 'experience'!

The best £60 you'll never spend if you're borrowing someone's :wink:

Kn8
09-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi Hiltonsteve
(EnhanceYours (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0001DBEKG/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1249822359&sr=1-8&condition=all)) are selling them new via Amazon.co.uk, market place for £30.00 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0001DBEKG/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1249822359&sr=1-8&condition=all)including the postage and packing.
Ivan.

Lee Roberts
09-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Steve they also do this version:

http://images.digitalmedianet.com/2003/08_aug/reviews/shuttlev2/Contour-low-rez.jpg

Let me know what your going to do as i wanted one of these myself, joint postage cost maybe ? Also take a look at this vid, he's using one on his machine:

Laser Zero Finder (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/video.php?do=viewdetails&videoid=25)

Another thing, they are also being sold on ebay last time i looked. Thanks for the Amazon "headsup" Kn8 thats almost free given the time saved having one on your machine !

EDIT:

Steve, they are indeed £30 and what looks like £5.50 no extra for more then one ? :link: (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0001DBEKG/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1249822359&sr=1-8&condition=all)

HiltonSteve
09-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Been to John's and picked it up, fixed it!, installed plug-in, plugged it in and it worked first time.

Exactly what I was after and a lot easier than making one.

I think the borrow period may have to be slightly extended......

Thanks John.

John S
09-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Been to John's and picked it up, fixed it!, installed plug-in, plugged it in and it worked first time.

Thanks John.

FIXED IT ???????

It was alright 'till you dropped it .
:sad:

See you later tonight or the overdue fines get applied.

One pint.........

two pints...........

3 pints..............

Lee Roberts
09-08-2009, 07:42 PM
John would you say that the Pro version is abit overkill for the amount of uses we may put it to/actually use it for?

I haven’t got as far as wiring up my laser zero tools, touch off-plate and so on so I don’t really know how many of the buttons I will need and so on?

But at the same time I don’t really want to buy the express version to find I need to upgrade?

Lee

John S
09-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Not used the pro version but you only use these when setting up and anything more than the axis keys is overkill in my book.

Looks as if they may be finishing with the express shuttle as a few people have got it on specials so makes sense to grab one now.

Mine came direct from Tormach, they have them screen printed for X, Y, Z, A and Step, still the same shuttle just a bit of a gimmick but theirs is still 80 odd dollars.

HiltonSteve
09-08-2009, 09:14 PM
What you asking him for, he's not got one anymore.:whistling:

Lee Roberts
09-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Steve, check your email i think you will be pleasantly surprised !

Lee Roberts
09-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Na took the rockcliff apart as i wasnt happy with it.

Machine 2 is coming along nicly tho !

Any progress on the ballnut mounts kip ?

HiltonSteve
09-08-2009, 10:03 PM
There's far too many toys being thrown out of prams round here...:nope:

Can we get back to building machines and giving each other advice, its like being on a forum for women engineers at the moment.

Lee Roberts
09-08-2009, 10:11 PM
There's far too many toys being thrown out of prams round here...:nope:

Can we get back to building machines and giving each other advice, its like being on a forum for women engineers at the moment.

I agree Steve, hopfully it will all work out.

Kip:
If you would prefer to refund me please do i dont mind ether way.

Not you as well, look mate it's really is getting silly, you'v deleted and blocked me from messenger ? not again, ok what ever !

Sparks
10-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Did anyone manage to find an xpress shuttle for less than thirty quid?
I'm looking for one of these myself as they do look like they make the job a bit easier.

HiltonSteve
10-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I've got a new one coming so you can have John's old one if you like, i am sure he won't mind....

I don't think you will get one for less than £30 though, I've looked everywhere.

Sparks
10-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Hows it go?

My router is a bed mill ...................

I've bitten the bullet and ordered one, was considering trying the xbox 360 controller and plugin but don't think the kids would take kindly to it!

Smiler
16-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Hows it go?

My router is a bed mill ...................

I've bitten the bullet and ordered one, was considering trying the xbox 360 controller and plugin but don't think the kids would take kindly to it!

Try it!

Get the wireless version and the dongle, works superbly. Never use the MPG, shuttle or keyboard anymore.

Jeff.

John S
16-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Bloody hell, forgot this post and now it's just reminded me I'm short a shuttle, a tool holder, three pints and summat else I've forgot.

HiltonSteve
16-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Bollocks... who opened their big mouth....!

Don't worry John, I've not forgotten.....

Doesn't mean that you will getting them back though.:heehee:

John S
16-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Any chance I can borrow me shuttle for the Warwick show in October ?

HiltonSteve
16-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Seeing as its you then yes, better let me have it back when you have finished though.....:whistling:

I will drop it off before end of next week.

audioandy
18-09-2009, 09:13 AM
John

Warwick show in October?

Is it worth a trip?

What kind of show is it ?

Andy

irving2008
18-09-2009, 03:21 PM
John

Warwick show in October?

Is it worth a trip?

What kind of show is it ?

Andy
Warwick Show Info (http://www.meridienneexhibitions.co.uk/our-events-detail.php?id=0000000007)

audioandy
18-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks Irving

Damn it I'm on holiday or I would have gone. :sad:

HiltonSteve
19-09-2009, 06:54 PM
I have got myself a shuttle pro (thanks Lee!)

But....

Plugged it in and it won't work with mach3, the one I have borrowed off of John works fine but that is an original shuttle express, this one looks like a copy of the pro version! I have tried all the options on the the mach3 plugin but still no good.

So before I start scratching my head any more, has anyone had any experience with one of these??

Photo's attached below.

John S
19-09-2009, 08:38 PM
I really need mine back first before I can help......................

Lee Roberts
19-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Np, it says ShuttlePro on the lable also contourdesign.com, i dont think its a copy mate.

Have you tryed installing the drivers for it, this came from the USA as well. Maybe worth posting on the Zone as well steve as a number of the chaps over there use these to.

Got the ballscrew today mate, looks sweet ill eye it up later and let you know.

John S
19-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Whatever you do DON'T INSTALL THE DRIVERS, that will fluff everything up, all you need is the shuttle plugin off the Mach > Plugin's page.

In Mach go to Config, Config Plug in and if it's loaded it will be there, click Config, right hand side in yellow and make sure you select Shuttle PRO, right hand side at the bottom.

Lee Roberts
19-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Dose Mach use different plugins for each model they do John ?

HiltonSteve
20-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Whatever you do DON'T INSTALL THE DRIVERS, that will fluff everything up, all you need is the shuttle plugin off the Mach > Plugin's page.

In Mach go to Config, Config Plug in and if it's loaded it will be there, click Config, right hand side in yellow and make sure you select Shuttle PRO, right hand side at the bottom.

I have not installed the drivers because I remember you telling me not to do this when I first pinched yours.

Already been to the Mach plugin config page and tried shuttle pro, shuttle and all the rest of them, still no joy.

I unplug yours (Johns) which works fine and then closedown mach3, plugin in the new one and I get the message - No shuttle detected for type selected - tried all the different types and restarted mach each time after switching, still no joy.

After lurking around I found this - http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11074.msg69461/topicseen.html#msg69461

Seems that I too am the semi-proud owner of a bastard step-child ShuttlePro that is not supported! My VID number is also USB\VID_05F3 as in the machsupport forum post which basically means mach wont find it as it is looking for a VID of USB\\VID_0B33. VID=Vendor Identity

Looks like I need to get a shuttle pro2, or tell John that I have lost his......:whistling:

John S
20-09-2009, 12:30 AM
No need, I can bloody read................

Lee Roberts
20-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Damn it, sorry steve i wasnt to know mate.

I wonder if we can flash the chip on these or some how right new info to the device so Mach can see it ?

Lee Roberts
20-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Just sent ArtSoft an email...

Lee Roberts
20-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Just got an email from Brian Barker over at Artsoft.

Hello,

I think they do work. If you check out the Machsupport forum I think
you will find some threads where people are using them.

I have not used that Rev so I am no help :(

Thanks
Brian

Will have a look later and see if i can find anything of use. :joker:

HiltonSteve
22-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Just bought a shuttle express from here -

http://www.enhanceyours.com/media-controllers-mice-c-86.html

£30 and free delivery!

Good news John, looks like you will be getting yours back! Are you in tomorrow morning? If so get the kettle on, or after taking the piss for "borrowing it" for so long should I bring a flask?

John S
22-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Bring two flasks...............

Lee Roberts
23-09-2009, 08:10 AM
lol, ha! ha! Youuurrr in barney rubble !

John S
23-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Well Steve came by today and dropped the errant shuttle off, packing up tonight and picked the shuttle up off the bench and under it was a £20 note, I mean what can you say to a deed like this ? here's me taking the piss and this guy drops a serious drink.

Cheers Steve.

HiltonSteve
24-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Now I'm shuttle-less life just is not as easy, talking to John about the Shuttle Pro V1 that I have and the fact that it won't work and he said let ME have a word with artsoft as he had to call them about something else yesterday evening.

Sent John an email last night about 10 o'clock with all the details of the shuttle and he rang me just after lunch to tell me there is now an updated driver on the Artsoft website! How is that for service..!

Just downloaded it, plugged the Shuttle Pro in and hey presto, works like a dream!

Nice one John, just proves that its not what you know, its who you know! But then what you do know does come in handy as well from time to time..

So I may have a spare brand new shuttle express which I ordered a couple of days ago that needs a good home if anyone is interested. Its not arrived yet but should be here anyday.

Thanks again John.

Lee Roberts
24-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Have you forgotten our little convo last night steve ?

HiltonSteve
24-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Have you forgotten our little convo last night steve ?

errrrr...... yes!

Lee Roberts
24-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Fine then its over...