PDA

View Full Version : Mesa Control Card Recommendation

JackDavies
20-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Hey guys,

I have put together a design for a machine that I am going to build, and have sorted most of the mechanical aspects.

The main issue I am having at the moment is deciding on software & electronics, there seams to be so many options its hard to find the best option for my needs. I have done a lot of reading on the forum and the wiki pages and have come to the conclusion that a Mesa card is the best solution. I would quite like to run Linux CNC on a touchscreen laptop, which will be housed in a case similar to the Fanuc or Haas controls. For this reason the ethernet versions of the Mesa cards would be good.

I really like the path-pilot screen but realise its a bit of a pain to install, so will probably get up and running on one of the standard screens and then update if needed later. I want a professional looking interface with the ability to include extra features, (external MPG & physical buttons - cycle start, feed hold, home etc.) and a robust and easy to setup environment. I feel LCNC is perfect for this.

I will be running on stepper motors, (servos would be nice but I am on a budget) and am currently looking at the Mesa 7i76e. Is this the best card to buy, or are there any other options I should look at? I haven't really found anything that compares the many cards that Mesa produce, which is a little confusing sometimes!

If somebody could give me a rundown of the best options for me that would be great! Thank you!

Jack

Boyan Silyavski
22-06-2017, 08:57 PM
Go to the linuc cnc forum and find there which is the most supported controller at the moment. Thats it. Avoid exotic or new stuff.

harmo
20-05-2021, 12:53 PM
Hi Jack,

This is an old thread, and I was wondering what you ended up getting? Did you continue with Mesa and LinuxCNC or did you go another way?

Kind Regards,
Hamish.

JackDavies
20-05-2021, 02:17 PM
Hi Hamish,

Yep I got a 7i76e and am still using it, works great. Im using the QTPYVCP screen on LinuxCNC.