PDA

View Full Version : stepper motor plug

bobster1
22-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Hi, the way things are going this may be the shortest membership of MYCNCUK.!!
Apart from the other issues I'm having the red wire on the Z axis stepper motor plug decided to fall out.It doesn't look as though it was crimped at all? Any suggestions as to how I can remove the pin to reconnect it? I've tried a ground down small instrument screwdriver in the square hole above the pin but so far no luck.
Hoping for an answer

Bob S.

john swift
22-06-2017, 04:30 PM
Hi Bob
I can not help with the connector they have used

as a plan "B"

you could solder the motor wires to the cable
( after threading heat shrink sleeving on the motor wires first so you can insulate the joints once the solder has cooled )

or use the 4 pole molex connectors used in PC's
they are rated 7A
and are available from Maplin if you want to buy the locally

John

bobster1
22-06-2017, 05:58 PM
Hi John,

Thank you for the suggestion. At the moment I am considering returning said machine and do not want to do a permanent repair. I know I have to bend a small tab to release the pin but unlike the female plug the tab on the male plug is hidden from view. Anyway I'll keep trying and see what happens.
cheers
Bob

m_c
22-06-2017, 11:08 PM
It will not of been crimped correctly. A couple wires on my 3020 fell out just trying to get the connectors apart, and a few more came out with just a slight pull.

It will probably need a release tool with a curve/hook in it to press the release tab.

Personally, I'd remove all the connectors, and join the wires directly. I used good quality butt crimps on mine.

bobster1
23-06-2017, 02:24 PM
Well I eventually managed to release the pin and have reconnected the wire. At the moment I am in two minds whether to return the machine or keep it. If I keep it then I will rewire and upgrade the controller/drivers to something more reliable. Waiting for the vendor to provide a fix? for the noise/vibration from the X axis. Hoping for a satisfactory outcome.
Thank you both for your advice.

Bob S.