PDA

View Full Version : CSMIO/IP-M with baldor smartstep/3

Benja
01-07-2017, 12:05 PM
I'm considering pairing these up after not being too impressed with the ucnc UC100.
Just wondering if anyone has paired the two and if they work well together?

I have the Smartstep/3 wired directly to DB25 via the 96 way connector.

Id be interested to hear some thoughts on it

Cheers

Ben

Boyan Silyavski
02-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Not being too impressed? What exactly do you mean by saying that?

What are the capabilities of that Smart steep and what machine you are talking about?

Benja
02-07-2017, 05:58 PM
I'm talking about the Novamill. The UC100 is what it is,a cheap solution so i'm looking for something more stable.

Capabilities in what sense? Have you experience pairing the Smartstep/3 with the CSMIO/IPM ?

http://www.baldor.com/Shared/manuals/1251-396.pdf

m_c
02-07-2017, 07:10 PM
They could be made to work together, however I'm sure the Novamill original logic wiring voltage was 12V, and the smartstep board dropped it to 5V for the motion controller, which is why it's a relatively simple job to interface the smartstep to a parallel port.

To use a CS-Labs controller, you would have to swap the logic wiring to 24V, and wire it directly to the CS-Labs unit, and only keep the step/dir signals connected to the Smartstep.

Benja
02-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Oh thats interesting to hear, i was under the impression whilst the unit uses 24v to operate, the step/dir signals were the nominal 5v . I'll take a look into that thanks

m_c
02-07-2017, 09:27 PM
The step/dir signals will be 5V, but possibly differential (that might only be on the higher spec controller). If they are differential, the CS-Labs manuals show how to wire them up to single ended drives.

Benja
03-07-2017, 12:56 AM
ok im with you now the wiring voltage in the nova is 24v
I was going to add another psu for the CS to keep their supply voltages seperate, but reading between the lines of what you are saying it sounds like id be better using the same supply?

m_c
03-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Just checked a wiring diagram, and the Novamill is 24V, so the wiring should mostly connect direct to the CS-Labs unit.

You'll need to go over the Denford wiring diagram and check voltages, as some things might not run on 24V. Things like the carousel sensor if you have an ATC, originally used a 5V proximity sensor, which if wired to 24V will most likely release some magic smoke.

Personally, I'd just use the one 24V supply. The 24VDC in Denford machines is only used for logic, so provided the existing power supply has enough power to power everything, I don't see any point in adding another one.

hanermo2
03-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Fwiw..
This is my reference to CsLabs hw, I have no idea about the baldor smartstep.

I use a csmio-ip-s on a lathe, currently with x,z,c (spindle) on step/dir ac brushless servos.
With servo threading, 0.2 micron step size, 32 mm ballscrews, and now connecting 2 toolchangers, 4 tools front and 7 tools servo turret.
The machine often runs days without being turned off.
Reliability has been 100 %.

ENC module for threading, hardware SSO, FRO, MPG, light bar, etc..

The cslabs hw is extremely good, support is very good, firmware and drivers are excellent.
At the moment I have about 110 IO lines in use, and will end up with about 200.

At the moment I donīt yet have the servo-error/alarm lines connected, in-pos signals, or homing signals.
Or the joystick.

Working on bits and pieces for a new saddle, that can take the toolchangers, then will tackle the input signals.
And take a much heavier yoke, for a bigger ballscrew on x, 32 mm vs 0.750" / 19 mm.

At this time, using an external DTI for reference, and the superb MPG, I can easily and reliably position both axis to 1 micron accuracy.

But the pulleys, and belts, both have major errors, and screws may have some errors.
Thus I cannot run a program and get to my goal of 1 micron programmed positioning, yet.

This will happen, with 100% certainity.

How is somewhat unclear.. but sub-micron glass scales and-or ground screws are an option, as is direct driving the screws.
So is putting the Z axis on linear guides, of 35 mm.
This is likely the first thing I will do, after upgrading the x axis.
Basically, because the Z axis gibs are somewhat sloppy, for my taste, and reduced sticktion should greatly help, as would zero rocking in the future.
Also, 35 mm linear rails and blocks are quite cheap and easy.
So, at the moment, the Z axis it not repeatable, about 0.01 mm, rubbish (gibs).
The x axis is better, but sloppy (poor rolled screw, 10 years old, from McMaster USA, a roton screw).

Thrust from 750W, 220V, servos is == 1600 kgf, = 16.000 N, so movement force is not an issue.

Conclusion:
I am very happy with the csmio - for doing commercial level stuff.
My cost on hw, wholesale, is about 8000€ so far, including the 2 toolchangers at about 3500€.

I expect to do profitable commercial work, so my investments are very reasonable, for me, imho..
A hobby user mostly would not have the same situation or expectations.

In short, I will be achieving very high-end results for about 12-14k€..
vs a similar-results CNC schaublin at 80k € or so.

My expectations are to recover all costs in 2 months, at most.
Time will tell.

If not, the journey has been worthwhile, and I will at worst have a kick-ass 5 axis cnc lathe, I re-built to commercial standards.
Occasional yacht/motorbike/airplane/etc parts will still pay for it, over time.

m_c
03-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Fwiw..
This is my reference to CsLabs hw, I have no idea about the baldor smartstep.
<snipped usual HanermoFantasyLathe nonsense>

So why comment about if it will work with a SmartStep?

hanermo2
03-07-2017, 12:19 PM
m_c .. donīt be impolite !
It demeans You and makes You look childish.

I commented on cslabs stuff .. since I know about it.
Did not comment on baldor stuff .. since I have no advice or help to offer.

m_c
03-07-2017, 12:44 PM
m_c .. donīt be impolite !
It demeans You and makes You look childish.

I commented on cslabs stuff .. since I know about it.
Did not comment on baldor stuff .. since I have no advice or help to offer.

And how about you actually post some proof that this wonder lathe actually exists?
You seem to post enough about it on various forums, yet nobody has ever seen any evidence that it actually exists other than in your imagination...