PDA

View Full Version : Chinese lasers 60-80w

Jona
13-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first laser cutter, and budget dictates it will be of the Chinese variety. I've read several threads on here and think I've got a handle on the drawbacks of the cheaper machines in general, and not too put off by making the necessary adjustments.

Of the commonly available models, the 700x500, either 60 or 80w are most appealing. I want initially to cut ply, hardwood and acrylic up to about 6mm, and engrave in hardwood. For these applications is it worth the ~£200 upgrade from 60-80w?

I'm very keen to hear from owners, and even better to see one in action if at all possible. I'm based in Ipswich, Suffolk.

Thanks,

Jona

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Desertboy
19-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first laser cutter, and budget dictates it will be of the Chinese variety. I've read several threads on here and think I've got a handle on the drawbacks of the cheaper machines in general, and not too put off by making the necessary adjustments.

Of the commonly available models, the 700x500, either 60 or 80w are most appealing. I want initially to cut ply, hardwood and acrylic up to about 6mm, and engrave in hardwood. For these applications is it worth the ~£200 upgrade from 60-80w?

I'm very keen to hear from owners, and even better to see one in action if at all possible. I'm based in Ipswich, Suffolk.

Thanks,

Jona

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I've never used a Chinese laser cutter but I do keep seeing in forums that the lasers ARE NOT what they are advertised as, knock 25% off the rated wattage to get real world sometimes more.

I've read some people cutting 6mm ply with 60w lasers and others struggling to cut at 80w I think the quality is very variable in the cheap cutters.

If I was going to buy one I'd get the 80w for the price, like Christian Slater said in True Romance "it's better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it" ;)

TERRY CORDER
07-09-2017, 09:02 PM
I imported a G Weike twin head LC1390 laser cutter / engraver from China a little over 3 years and I'm happy with it. The only thing is you have to be happy maintaining and repairing it yourself as there's very little backup although there's help from forums.

Don't bother with anything less than a 60w tube and you'll always want a bigger bed than the one you bought. Get a decent compressor and cooling unit at the same time as they're a lot cheaper from china. CW5200 is the chiller that you want, it's better than a bucket of water.

Any questions feel free to ask away.

TERRY CORDER
07-09-2017, 11:29 PM
Just had a thought. All of the 'cheaper' laser cutters for sale in the UK have been imported into the UK from China and had a suitable markup added but buying one of these you do get backup if things go wrong, at a price of course!