PDA

View Full Version : Spindle help?

Ross77
14-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Hi All
As Usuall I need help. I have an ER11, 300 watt brushless spindle/motor that I aquired.(legit but long story)...And wish to use for a MCB / inlay router. (bed mill, etc.:smile:)

This seems to to be a quality item. All stainless construction and came from a lens grinding machine, so should have low run out and ER11 collet is perfect for the application I need.

I have contacted Loadpoint and they have been very helpful. But without sending them the motor and the best part of a grand they cant help with the driver.

Motor Power

Red wire = Phase A
White wire = Phase B
Black wire = Phase C

Hall sensors

Thin blue wire = +5V
Thin brown wire = A
Thin orange wire = B
Thin yellow wire = C
Thin green wire = earth/ground

Thin purple wires = thermistors (not needed)

Their best guess is 6 Pole and 180Volt. I have bought a controller from the bay but it is only 100volt max.

Will this contoller work and how do I make a 100volt psu?

If not can anybody help? I was hoping that spindle control is easier than servo control and therefore maybe an easyish solution.:whistling:

Gary
14-08-2009, 08:08 AM
I suspect it will work, but you will not get the full speed.
Speed is dependant on voltage, so if the motor is rated at 180V and the max voltage of the driver is 94V (MAX) then you will get just half the speed.
Also the output voltage is 90% of the input voltage so, if you supply it with the max voltage of 94V, that the actual output voltage is 84.6V
Also the driver max voltage is 94V, but that is absolute max, and if you put 94V onto the driver it is likely that you will overvoltage the driver and force it into error so i suggest using a voltage slightly lower than the max voltage.

Hi All
As Usuall I need help. I have an ER11, 300 watt brushless spindle/motor that I aquired.(legit but long story)...And wish to use for a MCB / inlay router. (bed mill, etc.:smile:)

This seems to to be a quality item. All stainless construction and came from a lens grinding machine, so should have low run out and ER11 collet is perfect for the application I need.

I have contacted Loadpoint and they have been very helpful. But without sending them the motor and the best part of a grand they cant help with the driver.

Motor Power

Red wire = Phase A
White wire = Phase B
Black wire = Phase C

Hall sensors

Thin blue wire = +5V
Thin brown wire = A
Thin orange wire = B
Thin yellow wire = C
Thin green wire = earth/ground

Thin purple wires = thermistors (not needed)

Their best guess is 6 Pole and 180Volt. I have bought a controller from the bay but it is only 100volt max.

Will this contoller work and how do I make a 100volt psu?

If not can anybody help? I was hoping that spindle control is easier than servo control and therefore maybe an easyish solution.:whistling:

Gary
14-08-2009, 08:12 AM
The motor is a standard DC brushless motor with a high speed, so will need a high voltage DC brushless driver, and these are normally servo drivers, and in the case of the driver you have this is an analogue dc servo driver.
If you cant find a driver in your price range it may be cheaper to get a new AC (Induction) spindle motor and an inverter.

ptjw7uk
14-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Ross77,
Have you tried that motor or actually know it runs as from the picture of the er11 collet shows a lot of glass slurry and that stuff is a killer if it gets near ant rotating shaft or bearing. Best to check before you part with the readies for a driver.

peter

Ross77
14-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks Gary, That makes sense. The 180v was only a guess from loadpoint. If I power up the motor from this driver at say 50v and then measure the speed compared to the design max speed can I calculate the actual voltage? I always presumed the speed was due to the PWM frequency. Do you have a suitable driver? and if so how much?

Ross77,
Have you tried that motor or actually know it runs as from the picture of the er11 collet shows a lot of glass slurry and that stuff is a killer if it gets near ant rotating shaft or bearing. Best to check before you part with the readies for a driver.

peter

Very good point. didnt even think about that. Need to build a PSU to test it then. is there any way I can accurately check for play without powering it up. Ive done the obvious checks by hand and it feels smooth with no sign of radial or axial play.

Thanks

Gary
14-08-2009, 09:03 PM
You need to find out what the V per RPM is? is this motor in production? does it have a datasheet?
Yes we have drivers, and if the voltage is about 180V DC then you coudl use the BLSD range.

http://www.slidesandballscrews.com/blsd-1020230-servo-driver-p-178.html

Ross77
15-08-2009, 11:46 PM
You need to find out what the V per RPM is? is this motor in production? does it have a datasheet?
Yes we have drivers, and if the voltage is about 180V DC then you coudl use the BLSD range

Thanks Gary but £350 ish is a bit much at the moment. :sad:

No unfortunatly I dont know the V per RPM. and the the motor was a low volume special. Loadpoint were very helpful but unfortunaly they have moved and now specilise in airbearings, the guy who designed it has left.

The only Info I have is data from the first post and the drawing attached.

Is this going to be a waste of time or worth pursing? I had planed to put a pulley on the top and belt drive it to my Rotozip, (or wobble zip, runout is apalling) but it would be a bulky Z axis.