PDA

View Full Version : Can a KX3 be upgraded to USB?

Clockworld
23-08-2017, 12:07 PM
In a few months, I intend to look for a Sieg KX3 machine and I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade them from parallel to USB.
Of course it may not be cost effective but I would be interested to know.
Matt

Neale
23-08-2017, 03:20 PM
It's quite likely that you could use something like a UC100 motion controller with very little work. It's not a USB-parallel converter although it looks as if it is. Install the plug-in to Mach3, configure ports and pins, and you are more-or-less there with no rewiring. Better performance than native parallel port, and you can use it with 64-bit Windows versions (which don't support parallel port, as you probably know).

Clockworld
23-08-2017, 05:10 PM
It's quite likely that you could use something like a UC100 motion controller with very little work. It's not a USB-parallel converter although it looks as if it is. Install the plug-in to Mach3, configure ports and pins, and you are more-or-less there with no rewiring. Better performance than native parallel port, and you can use it with 64-bit Windows versions (which don't support parallel port, as you probably know).

That is interesting. It looks a simple upgrade and considering there is little effort involved, the cost is easily recovered.
Matt

Neale
23-08-2017, 08:05 PM
If I were looking for a better USB motion controller, based on what I'm hearing via this forum I would seriously consider the UC300 - although personally I would prefer ethernet to USB. Better ground isolation, better noise rejection. There is now an ethernet version of the UC300. However, the UC100 comes from a good company and has been around for a fair while now. Other options might need a bit more work to integrate them, although unlikely to need any rework inside the mill itself. Good luck with findind a KX3!

Clockworld
24-08-2017, 04:23 PM
If I were looking for a better USB motion controller, based on what I'm hearing via this forum I would seriously consider the UC300 - although personally I would prefer ethernet to USB. Better ground isolation, better noise rejection. There is now an ethernet version of the UC300. However, the UC100 comes from a good company and has been around for a fair while now. Other options might need a bit more work to integrate them, although unlikely to need any rework inside the mill itself. Good luck with findind a KX3!

Thanks - the UC300 maybe a little cahllenge too far (initially) - although I do like ethernet technology!
Matt

Ger21
24-08-2017, 06:38 PM
I would recommend the UC300ETH over the USB version.
In addition to better noise immunity, the ethernet version is also faster.

I'd also recommend switching to UCCNC from Mach3, while you're at it.

Tramp92
30-08-2017, 10:29 PM
The KX3 sold by Arc Euro Trade comes with USB as standard. We had one where I used to work for test fixturing etc. It seemed to run ok.

z3t4
06-09-2017, 02:40 PM
If you're looking for a used, parallel port KX3, then a look at the CNC4PC C11G parallel breakout board docs would be helpful. This is the BOB on (at least) the ArcEuro KX3s. If you want to replace it with a USB or ethernet board, in fact any other controller, bear in mind that the C11G has a 0-10v spindle-control output, controlled by a stepper signal, and you'd need to replicate that if you wanted software speed control.

If you want any more info about the KX3 I'd be happy to help.