PDA

View Full Version : Will it take all the fun away........?

MartinS
18-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Spotted this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=oycL5gZVUeY

I'm sure that there will be comments?

Neale
18-09-2017, 11:51 AM
Won't take any fun away - there'll be a crowd of people who try to use it to make a hole in a workpiece and then watch it drive itself into the hole...

But it's an interesting idea. Not sure how practical it will be. We don't see much of that other idea that came out a couple of years ago - a hand-held router with a built-in correction facility. You moved the router roughly where you wanted it to cut, and its on-board positioning system "corrected" the cutter position to get an exact cut. Again, an interesting concept, and who knows if someone can turn it into a practical machine. Where would we be without people exploring new angles? I bet there were a lot of people who said that the whole idea of fused-filament 3D printing was never going to fly...

Neale
18-09-2017, 11:51 AM
[duplicate post]

MartinS
18-09-2017, 12:43 PM
I bet there were a lot of people who said that the whole idea of fused-filament 3D printing was never going to fly...

.....and many people who said that aeroplanes would never "take off" (grandpa Wright?). And if the "goliath" does sell, how many will end up at the back of the cupboard with the juicer and bread maker?

Hmmmm.... where's my Raspberry Pi?:whistle:

Neale
18-09-2017, 01:08 PM
Hey, don't knock the breadmaker! I'm just sitting down to lunch with fresh bread straight from the machine! But I know what you mean:smile:

MartinS
18-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Bum....you use it! :grumpy:

Ever since we bought some stone ground flour in France this summer, my wife has wanted a bread maker.

I was hoping to find a bread maker from the "back of the cupboard" going cheap:dog:

Bah, foiled again....

Clive S
18-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Bum....you use it! :grumpy:

Ever since we bought some stone ground flour in France this summer, my wife has wanted a bread maker.

I was hoping to find a bread maker from the "back of the cupboard" going cheap:dog:

Bah, foiled again....

We have been using one for 5 years making two loaves a week.

mekanik
18-09-2017, 04:53 PM
I make two loaves a week but mines a bit more complicated(sprouted grain) more handamatic than automatic

Zeeflyboy
18-09-2017, 09:08 PM
I think for people that want to do light duty work on large panels it'll be great... obviously it's never going to compete with a proper machine in any way at all, but a lot of people may not have the space for a full panel machine and only need to do fairly basic cuts on it - basically like what one would do with a hand router but without the need to use jigs and guide rails etc.

Depends how much it costs really... if they managed to get it out for say 400-500 quid then I could see it doing well just for the convenience over a hand held router for most.

A_Camera
18-09-2017, 09:11 PM
.....and many people who said that aeroplanes would never "take off" (grandpa Wright?).

...the difference is that the people who didn't believe that anything heavier than air could ever fly didn't really understood the principles of flying, so you can't really compare that with a "self driving router". There are some serious problems with the principle of driving on top of the work piece. Some example:
- the mass of the machine must be huge to work at all, and that will demand quite powerful motors to drive around.
- there is going to be an issue as soon as something gets under any of the wheels.
- there is going to be an issue as soon as the work piece gets dusty.
- speed is a serious limitation, as well as accuracy.
- it will need more than just three sets of wheels to be able to move accurately in any direction.
- the surface must be even, so in practical reality, I think the maximum work area is limited to the distance between the wheels.
- the milled surface pattern must be pretty simple, for example sign making/engraving.
- what about fixture? Smaller pieces can't be milled.

In other word, an expensive and cool toy with limited usability. Possible to make it but will not replace table top or larger CNC routers. Not really comparable with airplanes ability to fly.

Doddy
18-09-2017, 09:15 PM
I'm just trying to imagine the safety-case for a router on wheels.

mekanik
18-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Just checked out a brief review video from maker fair, estimated cost Eu1300

A_Camera
18-09-2017, 10:55 PM

I think safety issues can be solved quite easily. I mean sure, some serious safety measures must be taken but technically it isn't that difficult.

A_Camera
18-09-2017, 10:56 PM

I think safety issues can be solved quite easily. I mean sure, some serious safety measures must be taken but technically it isn't that difficult.

A_Camera
18-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Just checked out a brief review video from maker fair, estimated cost Eu1300

Yes and the guy claims that it is in the same class as a table top small CNC when it comes to speed and accuracy. He claims that the maximum feed rate is 600mm/min which is the same league as small hobby machines... well I think he missed at least a zero since even the crappiest CNC can run much faster than at 600mm/min.

Washout
19-09-2017, 12:08 AM
I'm all for trying new things and innovation, but in this case if space is an issue the best innovation is to mount your machine vertically (not that I have done that with mine....yet).