PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Were do I start?!

tonygagey
16-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi , my nameis tony and i live in southport uk and I am thinking of building myself a Rockliff cnc router.I bought the plans off ebay last year,so were do I get all the bits from over here in the uk?Also do i need to go to nightschool to learn autocad? basicly I need walking through this project step by step,anybody up to help a compleate no knowledge idiot?

irving2008
16-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi , my nameis tony and i live in southport uk and I am thinking of building myself a Rockliff cnc router.I bought the plans off ebay last year,so were do I get all the bits from over here in the uk?Also do i need to go to nightschool to learn autocad? basicly I need walking through this project step by step,anybody up to help a compleate no knowledge idiot?

Welcome Tony

Well you've come to the right place. We have several variants of the Rockcliffe built by members. All the parts are readily available from various suppliers on the Internet many of whom are regularly mentioned in these pages and some of whom inhabit this site.

Have a look at the DIY build logs to get a sense of who's using what, particularly with regard to stepper motors and drivers, the latter being available ready built, as kits or bare circuit boards to be populated.

Reading around the Net will also give you some ideas on how to approach the project. You dont say what your skills are, but nothing is impossible with some basic DIY skills, a little care, and a desire to try.

Your basic plan of attack is to cut and prepare all the woodwork, acquire all the sliding bits, assemble then acquire and install all the electronics (best not to spend a lot of money on the hardware and electronics until you are sure you're going to get to that point, and havent redesigned it on the way).

Anything you don't understand or need help on just ask, we are more than happy to help (can't promise you wont get a raft of opinions though!). When asking questions its best to keep one question per thread (that way you're more likely to get an answer rather then a debate!) and be as precise as you can.

Lee Roberts
19-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Welcome :wave:, i have built a rockcliff as well so will await your build log to start, i think irving covered most everything while you get started !

tonygagey
07-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Ok so been REAL Busy and all so wont bore anyone with details .
Some pics atached this is were I am up to!http://C:\Documents and Settings\Tony\My Documents\My Pictures\CNC Carcass

irving2008
07-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Tony,

Pics haven't come through - you can't post direct from your C: drive. Either click on 'Manage Attachments' and upload the pictures to the gallery here (recommended way), or post on an external website like flickr and link to them that way.