PDA

View Full Version : !need Help CNC6040Z USB Limit switch wiring!

Schematicsman
20-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Hi,there everyone.
I need help with wiring my cnc6040Z USB 800 Watt machine 3 axis limit switches -->2 per axis in Normally Closed in series to the board mentioned bellow.

My problem is I have JP-3163B ver 3.9 motion controller board,On one side it has these connections--> VCC/XXW/XYW/ZXW and on the other C/NO/0-10V/ GND now please tell me do i need to place the 2 wires per limit switch for eg.for the X axis -->Com and NC wires in the XXW slot and Y axis Com and NC in the XYW and same for the Z axis in the ZXW or only NC wire in each of them and all the COM wires in the VCC slot?
Im so confused ???? plus do I need resisters or is it fine without???? :
And here is a link for the complete pic.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wiring+limit+switches+in+series+on+jp-3163B&tbm=isch&imgil=Mp8ASzSf5YzixM%253A%253BnbGRpQwukWGQWM%253Bh ttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fhackaday.io%25252Fproject %25252F2439-dc-motor-controller-for-cnc-router%25252Flog%25252F19857-learning-chinese-front-panel-schematics&source=iu&pf=m&fir=Mp8ASzSf5YzixM%253A%252CnbGRpQwukWGQWM%252C_&usg=__B2gf40wJZnsPjjxwF_7EeYhv3SI%3D&biw=1024&bih=639&ved=0ahUKEwiowL-To7PWAhUDG5QKHVelB-8QyjcIMQ&ei=OR3CWei_I4O20ATXyp74Dg#imgdii=uas5PnoSo9FYVM:&imgrc=Mp8ASzSf5YzixM:

Please HELP anyone:(

john swift
21-09-2017, 11:21 PM
Hi
do you have a link to the manual you can post ?
of better still -
take a photo of your board

as the google link goes to several pictures

I think you should find the limit switch connections should go to
a small 5 pin header on the board and not to any large screw terminals like the connections for the power and stepper motors

John

Schematicsman
23-09-2017, 05:01 AM
Hi.there I have tried to attached a pic of the actual board I have minus the DB9 which is optional on mine.now i also have [cnc6040z .settings file ] which i can not open and would like to know how to upload on this page it is saying invalid format please tell me how to upload??? I need your help on wiring limit switches and setting exact parameters in mach 3 or 4 demo according to these documents which came with the machine.???

Schematicsman
23-09-2017, 05:31 AM
hi i have managed to upload my cnc6040Z XML settings file that came with the cd for my machine.great i hope you can help me with everything from start to milling something.

i have also attached a pic of the actual limit switches i would like wire in series 2 per axis on the actual board....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<<<Now i know that 2 limit switches will have 2 wires coming from them ---->1) Com(black wire GND) /// 2) NC(Red wire)
so that is 6 wires /6 limit switches...>>>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now how and where on my jp-3163B v3.9 board i have attached a pic of , will 3 black wires and the 3 red wires be plugged in exactly ???

Also do i have use resisters with my limit switches or not i need full explanation i hope not ?????/??

Sorry for my persistence and rambling. :)

EddyCurrent
23-09-2017, 08:58 PM
This is how I would connect the limit switches.

john swift
23-09-2017, 09:25 PM
I see Eddycurrent beet me to it

while I was adding to one of your pictures

with only the link to select either the internal +5v or an external positive suppy for the input opto isolators
but no link to break the ground connection

it looks like you can not take full advantage of the input
opto-isolators

as soon as I can I will down load mach3 to see what the XML file setting are

John

Schematicsman
28-09-2017, 09:02 AM
Hi,there john hows things,have managed to figure out how to wire up my board, I'm stuck cant get to use my machine I need help on how to wire up 2 limits per axis for my board in the most simplest way and also do i need resisters and what value . basically I need a complete instruction on wiring limit switches on the board specified above???? then exact Mach 3 XML setup to get my machine moving quick and start pcb isolation milling and aluminum milling,Please HeLP ASAP its frustrating me the whole thing is catching dust....

EddyCurrent
28-09-2017, 08:36 PM
You have the user name "Schematicsman", you are going to mill a pcb, and yet you can't wire two switches in series ? plus you can't read the previous two posts ! having a laugh ?

john swift
28-09-2017, 08:42 PM
version 2 of limit switch diagram

John

PS

Schematicsman
29-09-2017, 05:20 AM
hi there John for starters that is just a user name i came up with, has nothing to do with anything and im a newbie in all of this wiring and cnc stuff.so im trying to learn how to wire everything up and properly setup Mach 3 like everybody else to start doing some milling ect.and I need to know,do i need to use resisters and also how do I wire all coms together and fit the wires in the connector???? :(

john swift
29-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Hi Schematicsman

if you have the jumper J1 set for using the boards +5V supply
you don't need to add any resistors - that's why I removed them from the original diagram

as to how you physically wire the switches it depends on what connectors you have fitted to the control box

very often you find "aviation" connectors are used on Chinese control boxes
the boxes having a number of holes for 4 limit switches and a probe
blanked off by a paper label when the connectors have not been installed

a photo of your box will help

if you fit four 2 pin connectors
then one pin on each connector is connected to the common ground
then printer port pins 10 ,11, 12, 13 can be connected to the remaining connector terminals
pin 15 can go to your E-stop switch

I will add more later when I return home

John

PS

this is the typical connectors found on Chinese control boxes
note – the danger of mains voltage on chassis mounting plugs !!!

from other posts
some other DIY options that have been used are
either pass the limit switch cable through a strain relief or
used a terminal block fastened to the box

once I know what you have and what method you want to use
either wire the limit switches directly to the breakout board or go via connectors mounted on the box
I will add more diagrams of the wiring

PPS

Schematicsman
01-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Hi john I would like to know How to wire 2 limits so when either one
Is pressed that axis stopes??? Which one Normally Opened
or Normaly Closed??? Can I use the ground from the pic I upload of my board that has that single black
Wire ??? Or does it need to come from what you have on your drawing???

Clive S
01-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Hi john I would like to know How to wire 2 limits so when either one
Is pressed that axis stopes??? Which one Normally Opened
or Normaly Closed??? Can I use the ground from the pic I upload of my board that has that single black
Wire ??? Or does it need to come from what you have on your drawing???

If you are daisy chaining your switches together, ie connecting them in series then they need to be normally closed.

If you look at John's post #11 he shows you the limit switch cables.

john swift
01-10-2017, 10:28 PM
as Clive said
wire N/C switches in series

it should be the safer option as the machine will stop if a wire breaks
as this is more likely than a two core cable being short circuited
(although it could happen if a cable is crushed)

the last diagram of post 11 is for 1 axis ,
you will need three pairs of N/C switches for the 3 axis

as mach 3 only homes 1 axis at a time you could connect all 6 switches in series and use just 1 input

John

Schematicsman
02-10-2017, 05:24 AM
Hi there John but your drawing has com and NO pin connected and mine is NC and COM pin on mini limit switches...
check my pic of 2 switches for one axis in series connected and tell me if I have wired it correctly???22904

Then which one of the COM or NC(NO) is GND or +5V and which one signal???

also Can I use all ground connections from that free connector on the right side of the board near 24V that says::--->> C NO 0-10V GND-<<<---?????
22906 on this pic??????

I'm confused

Clive S
02-10-2017, 08:43 AM
but your drawing has com and NO pin connected and mine is NC and COM pin on mini limit switches...
check my pic of 2 switches for one axis in series connected and tell me if I have wired it correctly???Click image for larger version.

Where does it say that John shows com and NO? Do you have a multi meter? I suggest you read the post again. As the drawing clearly shows you the way it is wired.
With a multi meter is is very easy to check you have it OK. You can also check if the two grounds ie the 5V one and the one you referred to are indeed connected together. If you are not sure use the 5v ground

john swift
02-10-2017, 10:32 AM
now I have seen the photo of your micro switch
I can see why you are confused

on my diagram the N/C contact is shown as the centre terminal
and on your switches the N/C terminal is at the opposite end to the common

John

PS
I can not find any details of the board to tell if the unused GND
terminal can be used as an additional Ground / common for your switches

you will have to check for continuiy with the switch common terminal

or use an additional terminal block to connect all the common switch wires together to a single wire from the switch common terminal

Schematicsman
02-10-2017, 01:54 PM
Hi,there Clive I was saying that Johns pic of two limit switches in Normally Closed connection at the top of this page looked different to my limit switches in NC connection. that's all I guess the the limit switches were different, but thank you both for being patient and very supportive,as I wouldn't even get this far.:)

Now My machine is a cnc6040Z USB 3 axis and I would like to know how and what I need to select from Step 1: of the installing of Mach 3.exe :::of this pic

And then from Step 2: after installation on this pic---->22912

ect ect..thank you sorry to be a pain but i'm learning allot from you guys :))

Clive S
02-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Hi I suggest you read through the various manuals and installation vids first.

http://www.machsupport.com/help-learning/videos-tutorials/

http://www.machsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Mach3Mill_Install_Config.pdf

john swift
03-10-2017, 03:07 PM
assuming you have the USB motion controllers "plug in " installed so Mach3 works via the USB connection

to add the probe you will need to go into mach 3 ports & pins
and select input signals

about halfway down you will find the probe

john

Schematicsman
04-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Hi there john I managed to get a few things setup.
what I found out was that in order for mach 3 to run on my laptop it needed to have Parallel Port checkbox ticked on initial installation and now it shows in Diagnostics tab :: pulse and other processors incrementing and decrementing which watching the you tube video shows thats what I need to see ,also I did a Driver Test on my Laptop and it said Excellent in green and all stable.so all that is good. So I proceeded forward to the Motor outputs tab and looked at the pdf they sent for my machine and set the Step pin and Dir pin according to the pdf spec pinout ,so I need to know what else needs to be checked on the motor output tab.I also want Mach 3 to control spindle automatically do I need to check that and anything else on that page and also on the Input signals tab what needs to be ticked for all limit switches and homing to work having trouble with that not working???????Please help thank you

magicniner
04-10-2017, 10:13 AM
If you get it working that's great but for a laptop with Mach3 you will also need to change the machine type as Windows is set to be able to turn off all sorts of stuff to save power on laptop which can cause problems, often only after 5, 10 or 15 minutes of machine run time. That's why the Mach3 manual states that laptops are not recommended and are unsuported.

Schematicsman
04-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Hey there magicniner you dont have to be nasty and by the way I do have desktop computer which will be using for cnc and yes its windows 7 pro..i just wanted to try the laptop I had thats all. and I asked for some settings help ect,Im a newbie in the cnc world so please try to use better words next time instead of insulting me ok and Im sure there will be someone nice enough that will want to help me with the some hard settings information that I need help with...

***And by the way magicniner don't write to me if your going to be polite at all.take care***:(

magicniner
04-10-2017, 01:12 PM
If you get it working that's great but for a laptop with Mach3 you will also need to change the machine type as Windows is set to be able to turn off all sorts of stuff to save power on laptop which can cause problems, often only after 5, 10 or 15 minutes of machine run time. That's why the Mach3 manual states that laptops are not recommended and are unsuported.

There's nothing nasty there at all, you are being over-sensitive and paranoid!
I didn't even mention your chosen screen name :D

Schematicsman
04-10-2017, 01:24 PM
listen Im not over sensitive but the fact you wrote in such a way,thank you for your help!. Please dont write to my profile anymore.if you do I will report you ok...:****

Edward
04-10-2017, 03:28 PM
I've read this thread and in fairness I don't think Magicniner was saying anything untoward. It is true that Mach3 advises against using laptops as they can cause instability.That doesn't mean it will definitely fail, but it might.

BTW, I use a laptop and USB with absolutely no problems, but then I am not using Mach3. I use Kflop with KmotionCNC.

Edward

magicniner
04-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Please dont write to my profile anymore.if you do I will report you ok...:****

I have no access to write to your profile, has someone edited your profile?
If so you should report it to admin immediately as administrative access is required to do that!

Schematicsman
05-10-2017, 02:38 AM
Hi let's not get of on the wrong foot here .everything is all right
With my profile ..now please in future try to be more polite,ok I just wanted to try on my laptop, so I can learn how to set Mach 3 up for my machine and see how it goes then I will be using that info to set my desktop with Mach3 so if you or Edward wanted to help please by all means but choose appropriate words when writing to Schematicsman ok and there is no harm in trying, just had the laptop laying around,so lets start from the beginning. Here's a snapshot of my laptop showing diagnostics tab in mach3 now can you tell me if that looks good22957 ***Sorry for the pic being side ways took a photo with my phone? then I would like to get help with what I was asking at the start of my post, top of page......?????

magicniner
05-10-2017, 09:00 AM
Photo rotated with Windows viewer.

Clive S
05-10-2017, 09:20 AM
Hi let's not get of on the wrong foot here .everything is all right
With my profile ..now please in future try to be more polite,ok I just wanted to try on my laptop, so I can learn how to set Mach 3 up for my machine and see how it goes then I will be using that info to set my desktop with Mach3 so if you or Edward wanted to help please by all means but choose appropriate words when writing to Schematicsman ok and there is no harm in trying, just had the laptop laying around,so lets start from the beginning. Here's a snapshot of my laptop showing diagnostics tab in mach3 now can you tell me if that looks good22957 ***Sorry for the pic being side ways took a photo with my phone? then I would like to get help with what I was asking at the start of my post, top of page......?????

I am afraid that you will not get answers with an attitude like this. The only question I see in the above is you asking if the screen shot looks good and then you expect people to re read your posts to find out what and where the problem is without you bothering to find the post No. yourself.

I did send you some links to vids and the manual for Mach3 but you don't appear to want to help yourself.

I suggest that you read your thread from the beginning again and reevaluate what you have said.

magicniner
05-10-2017, 09:50 AM
A quick Google Search with the board name yields this -

Clive S
05-10-2017, 10:01 AM
A quick Google Search with the board name yields this -

Yes. but this has been addressed by John in post #17

magicniner
05-10-2017, 10:08 AM
[B]hi i have managed to upload my cnc6040Z XML settings file that came with the cd for my machine.great i hope you can help me with everything from start to milling something.

That is not a MACH3 xml file, a simple check is to search the file in the text editor you are viewing it with, if "Mach3" doesn't appear multiple times in the file then it is not a Mach3 XML file.

magicniner
05-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Yes. but this has been addressed by John in post #17

Clive,
You are entirely correct, I'm just trying to get the relevant info all in one short space.
Reading through I can't see where it is explicitly stated how the board is connected to the laptop.
Enabling the laptop's built in parallel port is mentioned, I assume from this that a fully wired parallel cable is being used to connect to the parallel port on the laptop as the USB to parallel cable mentioned in the manual will not work with Mach3 unless a hardware specific Plugin is installed and Mach3 would not then need a conventional parallel port to be present in order to work.

Schematicsman
05-10-2017, 01:13 PM
So magicniner yes the cable is parallel to usb one end connected to JP board in black box and the other end usb to my laptop so how and where would I be able to download the cnc6040 xml plugin that is needed to get this machine working with Mach3????Please help because If I cant get it to work with my laptop usb connection, I doubt the desktop pc would even work with the same usb connection.

I tried connecting 2 limit switches in series Normally closed to the appropriate pins Clive mentioned and in the inputs tab and enabled X+ X- Y+ Y- and green ticks on Active Low and there was no response on the diagnostics page I even tried Automated setup of inputs and no response ever.So I dont know what to do nothing seems to want to work.But thank you and everyone for all their help.i continue to read the manual And hoping to get some function if I can:)

My laptop is a ::::
Dell D620 2Ghz processor
With serial db9 connection and no DB25 parallel connection ....on the back if that helps

EddyCurrent
05-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Are we there yet ?

magicniner
05-10-2017, 02:22 PM
So magicniner yes the cable is parallel to usb one end connected to JP board in black box and the other end usb to my laptop so how and where would I be able to download the cnc6040 xml plugin that is needed to get this machine working with Mach3????

With a Parallel to USB you are on a hiding-to-nothing, no one is yanking your chain, they don't work because Art Fennerty's brilliant MACH3 Parallel Port driver cannot access the hardware through USB to read and drive the individual pins as it can on a local hardware bus Parallal Port

Plugins are bits of software which integrate with MACH3 to support hardware, XML files are configuration files containing MACH3 settings to work with a given machine configuration, ideally you would need both but in setting up MACH3 manually yo create your own configuration which MACH3 stores as a transferable (and copy-able and back-up-able) file.

You can't simply find and download a plug-in, plug-ins are not generic, they are hardware specific and must be developed and supplied by the hardware manufacturer, if they don't supply one you can't get one.

If your laptop BIOS shows parallel port settings you may be able to find a docking station with an external connector (this is the case with my HP Compaq machines although I don't use them as controllers), if so disable all power saving options for everything in BIOS while you're there before trying it.

The point of using older or Industrial market desktop PCs is that they have Parallel Ports and a Parallel Port is your only way forward with MACH3 unless you buy an external USB or Ethernet Motion Controller that does come from the manufacturer with a functional Plug-In - read around the subject well prior to purchase of USB or Ethernet motion controllers, suppliers are not above selling Lemons and shining customers on about Vapourware fixes and updates that never materialise.

John Stevenson has a shelf full of NBG controllers that were supposed to be the dog's b's if you listened to the sellers but were SNAFU and never adequately supported.

magicniner
05-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Are we there yet ?

I suspect so ;-)

Schematicsman
06-10-2017, 04:34 AM
hi,there magicniner can I just buy a cheap ebay Parallel Port PCIe x1 Card. and a parallel male to female or vice versa cable connected from JP board card to desktop computer to get Mach 3 responding? also is it possible to compile a xml of my machine spec ect for Mach 3 to work? just trying get around anyway I can without the cost cause I got the machine for a Bday present and it cost a sht load of money. Yes my laptop can accept a docking station and found one on ebay it does have parallel port and other ports,so I might still have a chance :)

A_Camera
06-10-2017, 09:23 AM
hi,there magicniner can I just buy a cheap ebay Parallel Port PCIe x1 Card. and a parallel male to female or vice versa cable connected from JP board card to desktop computer to get Mach 3 responding? also is it possible to compile a xml of my machine spec ect for Mach 3 to work? just trying get around anyway I can without the cost cause I got the machine for a Bday present and it cost a sht load of money. Yes my laptop can accept a docking station and found one on ebay it does have parallel port and other ports,so I might still have a chance :)

Maybe you can maybe you can't... Nobody can answer that question about parallel port. I know Dell laptops can be tricky and even docking stations need drivers for the available ports to work. If your docking station is a REAL docking station, not just a port replicator type, then you may be able to get it work but you most probably won't do it without some pain and a lot of swearing. You must also be familiar with the configuration of your laptop and docking station BIOS, as well as the OS you are having. Windows 7 32 bits is the last one supporting parallel port, so you can't use anything better than that. Personally I have once tried with an HP laptop with docking station and XP, but it didn't work at all. I also tried just for fun with a more modern, HP ProBook6470b and W7 Pro 32 bits and it didn't work, even though the docking station had parallel port and other software using the parallel port worked with it, so it couldn't have been the OS or the BIOS or the configuration of the PC.

Anyway, if you want to stick to that PC then try the PCI card. If you are lucky and find the right card and drivers then it will work. If it is not working you can but the docking station and test it. Personally I'd buy an old desktop and would run it from there.

magicniner
06-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Some cheap Parallel Port cards will work well and some won't, you may have to try a few before finding one which works reliably, I haven't had to start testing the ones I've collected yet and may yet move to an integrated stand alone controller before I need to add a parallel to a PC that shipped without one.

It's worth starting a new thread to ask if anyone has PP card recommendations, you'll get a lot of external and stand alone motion controller recommendations but you only need one good card recommendation to get you working, one of my best hopes (but untested so far) is a StarTech as in the past I have used their stuff successfully to get legacy hardware working on newer PCs in industrial applications.

Forget about XML files, all they are is a way to copy and transfer an already completed manual configuration, it's simpler to manually configure unless someone with exactly the same setup can provide you a copy of their XML file.
Once you have your system working the config XML file which Mach 3 uses to store it's settings is one of the things you keep a backup of as this allows you to copy your setup to a new installation of Mach3.

Your laptop does look to be the right kind of age and a PP on a dock has a better chance of working than an integrated laptop PP (5v VS 3v), suck it and see is the only way to find out for certain unless someone else has successfully used the same hardware.

magicniner
06-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Windows 7 32 bits is the last one supporting parallel port, so you can't use anything better than that.

Later versions of Windows bring nothing to the party for serious Productivity Users, just the usual Microsoft "Change For It's Own Sake" and whistles, bells and novelties for Kiddies, Gamers and Non-Technical users who can't find a file, a programme, or indeed their arse with both hands, so I would argue that nothing later is better than that. :D

A_Camera
06-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Later versions of Windows bring nothing to the party for serious Productivity Users, just the usual Microsoft "Change For It's Own Sake" and whistles, bells and novelties for Kiddies, Gamers and Non-Technical users who can't find a file, a programme, or indeed their arse with both hands, so I would argue that nothing later is better than that. :D

I may not agree with such blanket statement, but this is outside the scope of this thread and forum. Of course, for a Mach3 user with parallel port nothing is better than a W7 32 bits, but regardless, the PP is a dinosaur so it doesn't matter.

magicniner
06-10-2017, 01:09 PM
the PP is a dinosaur so it doesn't matter.

When using metaphors it's always good to be reasonably representative, I think the point of Dinosaurs is that there are no live ones at all, unless of course you know of many thousands still running around somewhere? :D

I'd have gone with Indian Tiger or something else where there is still a functional population but where long term prospects were not good ;-)

Schematicsman
04-02-2018, 05:44 AM
hi,there guys my machine is a cnc6040Z USB, Im using my original board JP-3163B v3.9 like photo i showed awhile ago ,now i have a problem with my Y axis it wont move just makes a growling sound , but when power is off i can manually move it and no problem,X and Z no problem .Can anyone help me remedy this? thank you:)

Doddy
04-02-2018, 07:53 AM
Assuming you've setup Mach correctly (particular the motor tuning, with sensible accelerations and velocities - keep it simple/low performance - 100/400 respectively to start with, and 5us pulse-width)

Swap the output wiring (plug on the card?) from the X axis with the Y axis, to see if the problem is truly related to one channel on the controller (i.e. if having swapped the wiring the X-axis starts failing then the problem likely lies with the board). At that point you're limited to checking DIP switches etc on that channel - or full blown fault finding which I guess is likely outside your comfort zone given the nature of this question.

If you had access to a scope, I'd be looking to trigger/display a waveform on the step pin on the input from the 25W D-type whilst monitoring the CLK (pin 3 on the TB6560) to check that the signal was getting through cleanly. Then verify the signal on CW/CCW pin (pin 21) to verify that's clean - though that is not indicating a problem from your description. If those signals are clean, then the problem is either with the TB6560 or the PCB itself - visual on solder pad/dry joints.

If the signal on the step-pin is good (it should be - if not look back up your chain from the parallel port cable to PC) and the CLK pin on the 6560 is crap, then you need to look at the performance of the opto-isolator that decouples the parallel port to the controller.

Edit: Added a missing bit:

If, having swapped the axis, the Y axis still fails, then look at the integrity of the wiring from the board plug to the motor. Check for continuity between pin-pairs, and no continuity between the pairs (i.e. pins A+B = low impedance; C+D = low impedance, A+C = high impedance... just up to you to find the mapping of A,B,C,D onto the plug). If that's wrong - then it's either the wiring at fault, or the stepper itself.

JAZZCNC
04-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Swap the output wiring (plug on the card?) from the X axis with the Y axis, to see if the problem is truly related to one channel on the controller (i.e. if having swapped the wiring the X-axis starts failing then the problem likely lies with the board).

Word of warning here don't unplug with power on else you'll blow the drives up.!

Doddy
04-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Word of warning here don't unplug with power on else you'll blow the drives up.!

Sorry, yes, agreed with that - unplugging any powered inductive load with a semiconductor-based drive system built on a budget is asking for trouble (and you can be sure that a stepper under power will have current flow through at least one set of coils)

Schematicsman
07-02-2018, 06:49 AM
Hi, guys I found and fixed the problem ,as I was working in the box accidentally one of the wires from the Y axis connector was out .Thank you very much for all your help. saved me having to fork out for a new board ...:)