PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Please Help Stop this Yank's Head from Exploding!

wallyblackburn
21-09-2017, 08:33 PM
The first thing I'd like to say is that I'm really glad I found this site! Things seem a little more focused here than some of the giant forums. And the core of really helpful folks is a true treasure. Oh, and I get to learn phrases like "what gets my knickers in a twist..."! But, there is still just so much info! It is hard to make a decision and actually DO anything.

So, here is my ask: I'm going to try to explain what I'd like to build and my capabilities, and I'd like to request that the more experienced folks point me to a build log, design, etc. that would be a good starting point. Not trying to be lazy (well, maybe a little), I just don't see the point in reinventing the wheel.

I'd like to build a smallish machine - maybe 2'x2' (650mmx650mm?) - that can cut shapes out of wood up to 3/4" (19mm) or so. Doesn't have to be in one pass. Accuracy only to "woodworking specs" - 50 thou would be awesome. That's it!

For this version, not really interested in cutting Al or the like. Not interested in 3D carving. I'd mostly like to be able to CAD up templates and cut out for use with a manual plasma cutter. And then make progressively more capable machines and learn, learn, learn.

I'm fairly tooled up:

Bridgeport mill
14" South Bend lathe
MIG welder
Plasma cutter
Bandsaws, grinders, etc.
Woodworking equipment

I'm a decent hobby machinist. A beginner welder (but, hey, it's MIG). A decent woodworker. Comfortable with computers and electronics. I'm frugal but not cheap.

I was thinking of a desktop unit with a frame out of 2" square steel tube 1/8" thick. But I keep jumping all over on rails (from skate bearings to HiWin), drive methods, etc.

I'm apparently long-winded also... But anyway, can anyone point me to an existing build log? Or even offer a laundry list of design attributes?

Thanks,
Wally

driftspin
27-09-2017, 08:08 AM
The first thing I'd like to say is that I'm really glad I found this site! Things seem a little more focused here than some of the giant forums. And the core of really helpful folks is a true treasure. Oh, and I get to learn phrases like "what gets my knickers in a twist..."! But, there is still just so much info! It is hard to make a decision and actually DO anything.

So, here is my ask: I'm going to try to explain what I'd like to build and my capabilities, and I'd like to request that the more experienced folks point me to a build log, design, etc. that would be a good starting point. Not trying to be lazy (well, maybe a little), I just don't see the point in reinventing the wheel.

I'd like to build a smallish machine - maybe 2'x2' (650mmx650mm?) - that can cut shapes out of wood up to 3/4" (19mm) or so. Doesn't have to be in one pass. Accuracy only to "woodworking specs" - 50 thou would be awesome. That's it!

For this version, not really interested in cutting Al or the like. Not interested in 3D carving. I'd mostly like to be able to CAD up templates and cut out for use with a manual plasma cutter. And then make progressively more capable machines and learn, learn, learn.

I'm fairly tooled up:

Bridgeport mill
14" South Bend lathe
MIG welder
Plasma cutter
Bandsaws, grinders, etc.
Woodworking equipment

I'm a decent hobby machinist. A beginner welder (but, hey, it's MIG). A decent woodworker. Comfortable with computers and electronics. I'm frugal but not cheap.

I was thinking of a desktop unit with a frame out of 2" square steel tube 1/8" thick. But I keep jumping all over on rails (from skate bearings to HiWin), drive methods, etc.

I'm apparently long-winded also... But anyway, can anyone point me to an existing build log? Or even offer a laundry list of design attributes?

Thanks,
Wally

Hi wally

I read your post and you sound like you want to build one your self. But maybe a commercial one can be found.

At 50 thou.. 1.27mm? in wood, Al profile would do, and less problems getting stuff aligned , maybe a Chinese one might do the trick.. so maybe just buy the mechanical assembly and diy electronics ?

There is no quick start guide shopping list here [emoji16]

I have just started my build in steel and no real experience yet, so dont buy anything before sb with true knowledge points you in the right direction.

I wanted to go bigger and kinda rigid so for me a commercial one was out off budget.

Grtz Bert.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

AndyGuid
27-09-2017, 11:07 AM
This thread had me really confused as I was fairly sure I had already seen responses to Wally's query, which had somehow disappeared from here.

But on checking, it seems that this thread is virtually a duplicate of thread at http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/11310-1st-CNC-Router-Overwhelmed-Some-advice-please?p=95390#post95390 .

Btw, Welcome to the forum Wally!