PDA

View Full Version : Pokeys57U / Leadshine EM806 / Mach 3 - Confusion

Chaz
29-09-2017, 08:08 AM
So after a battle I managed to get these to work last night.

Work is maybe a strong word.

The confusion is around microstepping and what impact that has on my steps / mm calculation.

The higher I set the microstepping, the smoother the stepper turns. I am using fairly old stepper, around Nema 32 size, 6 wire, using the full coil on each A and B.

Is the logic correct that if I use a low step / rev number, this impacts Mach 3's step/mm value? So If I use 200 for example, my Mach 3 setting could be something like 400 however if I moved to 1600 (8 times more steps), the value in Mach 3's motortuning moves proportionally?

This means then that if I am running 25600 microsteps, I could have a large number for steps / mm in the motor tuning?

Problem that I have, if I do that, Mach 3 limits the speed I can run at. The net result is a slow but smooth motor.

Low microstepping = motor that runs faster but doesnt sound smooth.

Am I missing something? What does Mach 3' motor tuning modify the speed / velocity setting if I try and increase the step/mm value significantly? I can bullshit it by setting the velocity high, then using the settings -> mach 3 steps tool however doesnt seem right.

Thanks

Chaz
29-09-2017, 08:17 AM
Also, this thread / answer talks about microstepping 8. Where does that value come from?

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7946-AM882-and-Nema-23-Tuning

My drives have 200, 400, 800 etc up to 25600.

Chaz
29-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Also, the 'inbuilt' tuning option for the stepper, is this done with the motor connected mechanically or left free?

Chaz
29-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Ok, spoke to a helpful friend :-)

Half step = 400, which is recommended based on his experience. Mach 3 might be limiting due to kernel speed or something else. Wouldnt mind knowing more about the tuning stuff if anyone knows these or similar drives.