PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Orientation

Kev2960
17-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Hi there, a machine at work has developed a fault, when the machine comes to change tools the spindle stops in the wrong position and the ATC crashes into the dogs of the spindle. I've had a look myself and used M19 to orientate the spindle and its wrong every time, Has anyone any ideas ? the machine is a Tryax BM600 running on Centroid M400 software. the machine has had no problems until now
Thanks in advance
Kev

magicniner
17-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Check the function of the spindle position sensor/encoder.

Kev2960
17-10-2017, 11:19 PM
There is a round silver thing with wires coming out of it mounted directly on top of the spindle could that be it ?

magicniner
18-10-2017, 12:04 AM
It could be.

Does the spindle stop in exactly the same "wrong place" every time?

Kev2960
18-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Yes it stops in the same place every time

magicniner
18-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Sounds like one of the encoder/sensor or the disc/component it senses, or the dogs have moved relative to the spindle.

If the thing you think may be the sensor is in fact the sensor and can be released, rotated and clamped in a new position then that may solve the issue.

Without determining the source of the problem and addressing it there is the chance of a recurrence.

Kev2960
18-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Ok I’ve moved the encoder round in the slots and the spindle does now stop in a different position, not the right one though, but it does repeat with M19

magicniner
18-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Unfortunately I can't see it and know not to which slots you refer.
There's a possibility that the "Thing" which the encoder reads is what is out of place?
You're most of the way to solving the problem and becoming the Go To Guy for CNC repairs at work! ;-)

Kev2960
18-10-2017, 08:33 PM
If you’re not too far away do you want to have a look at the machine and maybe fix it if you can ? Rugby

magicniner
18-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Kev,
I'd love to say yes but you're a bit far away and I work more than full time so unfortunately it would be difficult.
You know and have proven that it's a sensor/alignment issue, you ought to be able to get a competent technician in to sort that out fairly quickly,
Regards,
Nick

m_c
18-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Couple things come to mind.

Did it really 'just stop' working?
How confident are you that nobody has either played with settings, or fiddled with the machine?

Without any photos, we can only guess on the setup. Could it be the encoder disc has spun on the spindle? It shouldn't but you never know. Is the encoder on the actual spindle, or is it belt driven of to the side?

Has somebody altered the spindle orientation settings?
A quick search of the manual reveals there should be a custom M19 macro to orientate the spindle, which is called automatically after the M17 macro, which itself is called prior to an M6 command.

Kev2960
18-10-2017, 10:30 PM
Thanks Nick, I understand.
The company have contacted two service engineers who have said they will do it but neither have tuned up, so I’m not sure what to do next ?

Kev2960
19-10-2017, 06:53 AM
Hi m c, yes the machine was half way through a job and came to a tool change when the fault occurred. As for the other questions I really don’t know that’s why we need someone with more knowledge than me to take a look