PDA

View Full Version : Training wanted - CAD and ~G-code

Jools
18-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Hi All

I've just bought a home CNC mill and am looking for someone to help me learn the basics of G-Codes so I can set her to work. I haven't decided on a platform I'll be using so am happy to consider anything and everything though the mill has linuxcnc installed on it. The stuff I want to do is not super complicated but just hope to learn from someone who's experienced.

Basically I would like someone to work face to face or to screen share computers to walk me through. Happy to pay cash for this, or beer, or both.

I'm based near Lincoln UK for locals but also happy to screen share.

Jools

magicniner
18-10-2017, 08:43 PM
I'm gradually learning G-Code, meanwhile I'm making anything from simple cutouts from sheet to some quite complex 3D parts, all with CAM.
Contrary to popular belief it's very quick to CAM simple stuff and it makes things like engraving text, ramped profiles and roughing with finishing passes very simple.

- Nick

EddyCurrent
18-10-2017, 09:15 PM
In the short term you don't need to learn g-code to use the machine because the CAM software will generate it for you. In the long term however it would be useful to know some g-code and you will learn it as you progress. Take a look at CamBam for the CAM software, http://www.cambam.info/shop/ there is also a Linux version if that's the platform you intend to use.

If the CAM software you use does not have an integrated simulation, this will be useful (and it's free) http://www.camotics.org/

Clive S
18-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Hi All

I've just bought a home CNC mill and am looking for someone to help me learn the basics of G-Codes so I can set her to work. I haven't decided on a platform I'll be using so am happy to consider anything and everything though the mill has linuxcnc installed on it. The stuff I want to do is not super complicated but just hope to learn from someone who's experienced.

Basically I would like someone to work face to face or to screen share computers to walk me through. Happy to pay cash for this, or beer, or both.

I'm based near Lincoln UK for locals but also happy to screen share.

Jools

Jools The mill you have bought has Linuxcnc 2.6 on it. Don't update the software until you understand the way it works the latest version is 2.7.11 and there has been a change in the format in the way the files work. When you have had some experience with the machine I will help you through it. It is simple to upgrade but the ini file will require a small amount of work so keep with the version you have.

I am away in Spain at this time but will contact you when I get back. I take it this is the seige plus 2 from Baz.