PDA

View Full Version : aluminium profile suppliers UK

Richard
31-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Anyone recommend a good value source for profile, say 40x40, UK based ideally.

Seem that the going price is around £10 per meter.

I found that http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk has a good range.

Just wondered where people go for it?

f750
31-10-2017, 11:43 PM
I have used for my own build and found them very good.

Cheers Tony

The link
13-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Ye but add the postage and vat it kills the build.
I went woth 2040 pack from ratrig as they have v groove and 2 grooves each side as well as top all v groove. You dont say what your using it for but I done a ton of searching and its super expensive here in UK, China sellers are expensive too. Ratrig was best deal by far but only 2020 and 2040. I am thinking get some 4040 for strengh but when you see the vat and post cost more then the parts its a put off. There not even iseful with 1 slot and no grooves and some are real skinny on the profile, the ones a lil expensiver be thicker.
Simon on ebay has t slot at the cheapest prices by far and free delivery, he at 33 for 3x 1m lenghs and he cuts for free. I used him a bunch but I needed v slot.

Anyway
Simon on ebay or ratrig portugal are the cheapest by far.

Take care. I spent months searching. Trust me on this aha.

Richard
13-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Ye but add the postage and vat it kills the build.
I went woth 2040 pack from ratrig as they have v groove and 2 grooves each side as well as top all v groove. You dont say what your using it for but I done a ton of searching and its super expensive here in UK, China sellers are expensive too. Ratrig was best deal by far but only 2020 and 2040. I am thinking get some 4040 for strengh but when you see the vat and post cost more then the parts its a put off. There not even iseful with 1 slot and no grooves and some are real skinny on the profile, the ones a lil expensiver be thicker.
Simon on ebay has t slot at the cheapest prices by far and free delivery, he at 33 for 3x 1m lenghs and he cuts for free. I used him a bunch but I needed v slot.

Anyway
Simon on ebay or ratrig portugal are the cheapest by far.

Take care. I spent months searching. Trust me on this aha.

Thanks for that. I will check out Simon (simon74022) on ebay (4040 is £52 for 5x1m from him). It's for a gantry router. TBH I am thinking of going to welded steel instead. You can get 40x40 steel box for £7 for 2.4M, so it's dirt cheap...

It does mean going for epoxy to get level flat surfaces, which then adds on a load of cost.

m.i.k.e
13-11-2017, 06:21 PM
I have been looking for a reasonable priced epoxy (west system 105+209 5kg) and the cheapest I have found so far is around £200.

Richard
14-11-2017, 12:47 AM
I have been looking for a reasonable priced epoxy (west system 105+209 5kg) and the cheapest I have found so far is around £200.

Seems the West System is the only supplier of extra slow cure epoxy?

danson marine have the 5kg kit for £160, all in.

Richard
14-11-2017, 12:52 AM

Seems the West System is the only supplier of extra slow cure epoxy?

danson marine have the 5kg kit for £160 all in.

m.i.k.e
14-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Nice find Richard.

Richard
14-11-2017, 11:07 AM
I guess if you went round a few boat yards you might get some half used 105!

Most boat chandler places are megabucks, especially if they are in a marina, but Dansons looks like it's just sat in Sidcup highstreet!

mekanik
14-11-2017, 11:37 AM
http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/epoxy-infusion-resin.aspx

Richard
14-11-2017, 12:18 PM
http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/epoxy-infusion-resin.aspx

Is that slow enough?

mekanik
14-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Hi Richard
I would imagine so it's very thin (has to be sucked through 10mm pipe) and i would imagine it should level fairly rapid. The guys are obviously using the West Epoxy for a reason so search the forum as there is a thread dedicated to epoxy leveling.From recollection i can't remember anyone mentioning infusion resin and that seemed a bit strange but there could be a reason, also that link is possibly not the cheapest so if you decide to go with it have a look round for the best price.
regards
Mike

Richard
14-11-2017, 03:22 PM
There's a glass fibre and carbon moulding place near me, who have done a few things for me. They might be able to get something cheaper.

They always want resin that goes hard really fast, so fast it gets really really hot, but they might be worth asking.

mekanik
14-11-2017, 04:45 PM
I think the last time i did an infusion job the open time was about 30min before it started to gel, i would imagine that's more than enough time to level,Comments from our machine constructors would be helpful.

Clive S
14-11-2017, 06:45 PM
I think the last time i did an infusion job the open time was about 30min before it started to gel, i would imagine that's more than enough time to level,Comments from our machine constructors would be helpful.

have used the west system a few times the slow one take about 6 hours in free state I think curing is about 20 hours and then do not touch for about 7-10 days