PDA

View Full Version : Controls Cabinet size

driftspin
17-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Hi guys,

Do you guys have some direction on needed Cabinet size?

I need to harbour
- Diy PSU
- 24 vdc psu
- 5v PSU
- 4 or 5 882 drives
- Terminals
- Circuit breakers
- Control bourd uccnc 300

Some relais..

Am i forgetting something..?

VFD goes outside of the box

Grtz Bert.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

EddyCurrent
17-11-2017, 10:00 PM
It needs to be bigger than you first think.
Things to consider; (I will probably have missed some out)
You need to finalise the electrical drawing first, it's a MUST

allowance in depth for the backplate
layout to prevent interference of control wiring from power wiring
trunking to route the wiring
DIN rail to mount the components
space from top and bottom of components to trunking (enough for crimp terminals and cable markers)
ventilation fans, in and out of the cabinet
filtration of incoming air to the cabinet (inside of cabinet should have positive pressure)
space for door interlocked isolator
space to allow for connection to drives (tuning interface cable)
enough depth for door mounted components (so they are clear of other items in the cabinet)
space for a row of terminals at the bottom where cables are glanded
space for future expansion (another bob, etc.)
consider using a Safety Relay such as Pilz or Preventa

I had to draw mine out in a CAD program but the cabinet was still slightly too small.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6565-Ready-Steady-Eddy?p=56144#post56144
http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6565-Ready-Steady-Eddy?p=56651#post56651
http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6565-Ready-Steady-Eddy?p=52213#post52213

EddyCurrent
20-11-2017, 11:12 PM
It seem that information was unworthy of a response, so good luck with your panel.

Neale
21-11-2017, 12:30 AM
I meant to reply but my original eBay order doesn't have the dimensions and I keep forgetting to measure it...

However, from memory, I think it's 500x400x200. In that, I have a CSMIO motion controller, four stepper drivers, safety relay, stepper PSU, psu relay. On the inside of the door I have a 24V and a 5+12V PSU. Two 12V fans on one side blowing air in, across the stepper driver heatsink. It fits, but there isn't really any space spare and wiring is more difficult if space is tight. If I were doing it again, I would go a little bigger. Beat easy, if you have the bits, is to lay them out on the bench and see how much space they take up, allowing for things like internal cable guides.

Don't know if that helps as it all depends on exactly what you are going to be installing.

driftspin
21-11-2017, 08:39 PM
I meant to reply but my original eBay order doesn't have the dimensions and I keep forgetting to measure it...

However, from memory, I think it's 500x400x200. In that, I have a CSMIO motion controller, four stepper drivers, safety relay, stepper PSU, psu relay. On the inside of the door I have a 24V and a 5+12V PSU. Two 12V fans on one side blowing air in, across the stepper driver heatsink. It fits, but there isn't really any space spare and wiring is more difficult if space is tight. If I were doing it again, I would go a little bigger. Beat easy, if you have the bits, is to lay them out on the bench and see how much space they take up, allowing for things like internal cable guides.

Don't know if that helps as it all depends on exactly what you are going to be installing.Good tip to get al the bits and make a layout.

But at least 500x400.

Ok...

Thanks guys.

driftspin
21-11-2017, 09:55 PM
It seem that information was unworthy of a response, so good luck with your panel.No i am sorry Eddy... just busy at work..

I have found this forum very informative with lots of nice people willing to share good information.

Thanks for all the good information.

Grtz Bert.

m_c
22-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Far bigger than what you think you'll need!

My smallest control box is the one used on my little digitiser (photos can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/mc_mtb/albums/72157646048305954). IIRC it's a 400x500x150, as I happened to have that size lying around. With that setup, I certainly wouldn't go any smaller, and if I was using separate stepper drivers/controller, I would of wanted something a bit bigger.

driftspin
22-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Far bigger than what you think you'll need!

My smallest control box is the one used on my little digitiser (photos can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/mc_mtb/albums/72157646048305954). IIRC it's a 400x500x150, as I happened to have that size lying around. With that setup, I certainly wouldn't go any smaller, and if I was using separate stepper drivers/controller, I would of wanted something a bit bigger.Ok thx for the pictures.

500x400 doesnt look that big any more...

I will look at my options when i have the parts.

Grtz Bert

Nr1madman
23-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Good info in this thread!

I always underestimate the number of connectors I'm going to need, for every project just not cnc one.

Watching photos from others projects is a real good starting point!

My controlcabinet will probably be 100x50x18cm
But I will try to cram the pc and just maybe the vfd in there as well.

I'm also thinking of dividing the cabinet internally with thin steel sheet to shield pc and another divide for vfd. These would be connected to star ground... good idea? :D

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

driftspin
23-11-2017, 09:34 PM
Good info in this thread!

I always underestimate the number of connectors I'm going to need, for every project just not cnc one.

Watching photos from others projects is a real good starting point!

My controlcabinet will probably be 100x50x18cm
But I will try to cram the pc and just maybe the vfd in there as well.

I'm also thinking of dividing the cabinet internally with thin steel sheet to shield pc and another divide for vfd. These would be connected to star ground... good idea? :D

Skickat från min SM-G955F via TapatalkWell for the health of the vfd yes but i wonder if that weighs up to potential problems...

Also it depends on what you are machining most. MDF will put dust in everywhere

Vfd in cabinet with a proper air filter might work best.

I am looking for twin door setup cabinets 400mmm high now... ip 55 or better... or put a good fan on it with filter to create positive pressure and keep dust out.

Hope something turns up 2nd hand.

I work in hvac stuff.. something will turn up...

Grtz Bert