View Full Version : Milling Delrin - Advice needed

Jools
20-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Hi All

I have a Sieg X2 mill converted to CNC and am just starting out on machining
- Spindle speed 0 -2000 rpm
- Not sure what feed rates I can go up to but it's a hobby machine
- Max endmill size 16MM
my main materials of choice will be Delrin and Acetal.

I just wanted advice on cutting speeds and feeds and also if I can get away with cutting dry. My research says that air blast is good for chip removal but I would prefer it if I can save the extra expense.

Also any advice on anything to do with machining the above is gratefully received

Thanks in advance :-)

Jools

Chaz
20-12-2017, 09:11 PM
Start with similar speeds to Alu and go from there. With 2k rpm you will be very limited. With 16mm Id start around 500mm / min for a 10mm deep 1mm wide cut. Clear chips with air, delrin isnt difficult from what I recall.

needleworks
20-12-2017, 10:22 PM
Start with similar speeds to Alu and go from there. With 2k rpm you will be very limited. With 16mm Id start around 500mm / min for a 10mm deep 1mm wide cut. Clear chips with air, delrin isnt difficult from what I recall.
Yeah, pretty much what Chaz has said, I also have a 2000rpm spindle and usually cut delrin using cutters from 4mm up to 12 mm. I normally cut around 6mm depth @ 600mm/min. I never use coolant, or air blast for that matter, if needed I just follow the cutter around with the nozzle from the hoover:cocksure:

magicniner
21-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Air blast is better for getting chips out of slots and producing neater cuts, single flute end mills are fantastic in plastic where a deep slot is required.

Jools
27-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try at the speeds you've said and see what results I get.