PDA

View Full Version : Multiple EMI filters versus a single filter for multiple drives

johnsattuk
28-01-2018, 03:10 PM
I am in the process of building a panel for my router which has 4 Yaskawa servo drives in it. For space reasons ( the drives are fairly bulky ) I opted to use a single EMI filter to feed them, rather than use the base mounted filters which came with them.

Half through my build I have suddenly aquired a pacemaker, which is making me myself a little susceptible to EMI :concern:

Does any body have experience/views on this subject.

john swift
28-01-2018, 07:35 PM
how sensitive are pace makers ????

I would use a single combined mains inlet / EMI filter

my main concern would be ensuring the lid/ door to the metal enclosure has a metal to metal contact all the way round
(a single earth wire grounding a painted door is not going to keep the EMI from escaping)

and look into filters and or ferrite beads to ensure rf noise does not escape via the motor and control wiring passing through the enclosure

John

johnsattuk
28-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Not sure how sensitive they are, told to keep away from arc welding and large motors, domestic microwave OK, vacuum cleaner OK :crushed:

I think it is a distance related effect, leaning on a power drill probably not a good thing, the pacemaker itself I believe is quite well protected, it's the wires (arials) into the heart which pick up the EMI.

It's a robust steel cabinet but doen't have a metal to metal contact all round, will have to look into that, have fitted EMI screens to fan inlet and outlet, and I always use an abundance of ferite filters on the cables

johnsattuk
29-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Have rejiged my my cabinet and I am going to fit seperate two stage filters, don't want to pop off sooner than I need:thumbdown: