PDA

View Full Version : Is this an okay way to mount gantry to linear bearings?

PaisleyPCdoctor
18-02-2018, 01:43 AM
800x600 moving gantry cnc router build.

I want to mount short gantry sides to 20mm hiwins.
I want the gantry mounted on top of carriages, with weight centered instead of mounting them side on.

I have came up with this little aluminium mount/adapter that will attach to the gantry sides with 3x M8 bolts.

I'd love some comments on the concept... is there a better/easier way?
Does it look stable?

I dont know what im doing LOL, please guide me : -)

magicniner
18-02-2018, 06:27 PM
If the parts are made as rigid as they should be the weight will be centred even if the vertical plate carrying it is not.

m_c
18-02-2018, 10:07 PM
I think I'd be more inclined to use more smaller fasteners instead of 3 M8's, that way you should get a more evenly distributed/less distorted and stronger join between the parts.
I'd probably go for a row of M5, or maybe M6.

JAZZCNC
18-02-2018, 10:16 PM
Complicating the jog unnecessarily. Hi-win rails won't even know they have that gantry on there back so just keep it simple.

PaisleyPCdoctor
19-02-2018, 03:10 AM
If the parts are made as rigid as they should be the weight will be centred even if the vertical plate carrying it is not.

I was initially looking to bolt gantry end panel into side of a 20mm plate on the bearings, but I didn't feel comfy with it.

PaisleyPCdoctor
19-02-2018, 03:14 AM
I think I'd be more inclined to use more smaller fasteners instead of 3 M8's, that way you should get a more evenly distributed/less distorted and stronger join between the parts.
I'd probably go for a row of M5, or maybe M6.

I'll put some thought into that. My thinking for 3 m8 was as an adjustment/shimming point when I get to tramming stage, but I think you're right. Thanks.