PDA

View Full Version : Finding center of box

dfox1787
11-03-2018, 08:01 PM
Hi

I have a load of plastic control boxes that i need to machine. What is the best and most accurate way to find the center for zeroing?

I have the 2010 screen set now which has great scripts for zeroing but unsure if any of the can do the job.

Heres the box

m_c
11-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Isn't the 2010 screenset more aimed at probing?
Regardless, if you know the size, touch of two adjacent sides, and work it out from there (half probe diameter + half width/length will give you centre zero)

Either that, or you have to touch of opposing sides, and calculate the centre. Simply take the position from the touch on opposing sides and average them out (add them together then divide by two - you don't need to worry about probe diameter as it cancels itself out when averaging).

If you've got lots to do, I'd be making a repeatable jig/stop so you don't have to re-centre for every box. It doesn't have to be fancy, just a couple physical stops so you can repeatably clamp the box in position.

Ger21
12-03-2018, 12:32 AM
Use the X an Y pocket routines in the 2010 Probing Wizard.

Isn't the 2010 screenset more aimed at probing?

It was intended to be a better interface for Mach3, with automatic Z zeroing during tool changes.
The probing portion was added later, and was never the intended goal. So I wouldn't say it's "aimed" at probing.

dfox1787
12-03-2018, 07:55 AM
Use the X an Y pocket routines in the 2010 Probing Wizard.

It was intended to be a better interface for Mach3, with automatic Z zeroing during tool changes.
The probing portion was added later, and was never the intended goal. So I wouldn't say it's "aimed" at probing.Thank you.

I don't suppose you have any examples on how to use it to find the center of a box. Similar to the one I have posted?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

magicniner
12-03-2018, 09:59 AM
Find left edge, zero DRO, find right edge, set DRO to half the displayed value, zero is now centre line of part.
Repeat for front & back.
It's so quick and easy I don't see why automation is required?

Ger21
12-03-2018, 11:42 AM
Jog over the box, and down into it.
Check the box to zero the X and Y coordinates.
Press the X Pocket button.
When it stops, press the Y Pocket button.
Done

magicniner
12-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Jog over the box, and down into it.
Check the box to zero the X and Y coordinates.
Press the X Pocket button.
When it stops, press the Y Pocket button.
Done

What kind of probe does that need for a plastic box?

dfox1787
12-03-2018, 11:57 AM
What kind of probe does that need for a plastic box?Fair point. I think I'll have to maybe stand my edge finder up and quickly move it as it probes......

Ger21
12-03-2018, 12:26 PM
What kind of probe does that need for a plastic box?

You'd need to use an actual probe, rather than the tool and a conductive plate.

But you could use the touch plate, and manually move it from side to side if you are quick enough.

dfox1787
12-03-2018, 10:17 PM
You'd need to use an actual probe, rather than the tool and a conductive plate.

But you could use the touch plate, and manually move it from side to side if you are quick enough.Impressed with the screen set. I just used a old tool and stood my probe plate vetical against the side of the box and probed z and y. Worked a treat..

Ger21
13-03-2018, 01:55 AM
That's what I do, although I've never probed a pocket.
If you use the plate to find an edge, make sure you enter the plate thickness in the Plate Offset box, and the tool diameter in the Probe Diameter box.