PDA

View Full Version : UC CNC software 300eth and UB1

driftspin
19-03-2018, 12:19 AM
Hi guys,

I am not asking this question in my build log because well... i did not build it with uc 300eth yet.

I am trying to get my head around some stuff.

Questions, doubts... well not really but want to know before buying.

1st question.
Is there such a thing as screensets you have buy for UC CNC software?

2nd question.
Does the vfd modbus connect directly to UC300ETH controller or to the pc?

3rd question.
Does CNCdrive work actively with cncroom on development of UB1 ?
I saw some remarks on the net about uc firmwares versions icw support for UB1 / uc being able to recognise as of version 1.x
I hoped UB1 would be a passive non programmable BOB.
With some extra perks like safety circuits and isolated in and outputs.

4th question.
What is the main reason to go for an ub1 instead of 2 or more separate bobs, except for the obvious space saving and avoiding a mess wiring separate bobs.

5th question.
Where does one connect spindle encoders on an uc controller for rigid tapping?

I know ... i ask a lot of questions.

Grtz Bert.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

Nr1madman
19-03-2018, 08:22 AM
Hey Bert!

Can't answer alot of your questions, but I think I got an answer for question 1 ;)

Uccnc doesn't require for you to buy a screenset.
It works right out of installation!
But if you buy a screenset it might be prettier and / or more functional. Macros and such things are there with the screenset and doesn't require as much "coding" from you.

Might aswell continue.. cncroom has gotten schematics from cncdrive for the pinout for uc300. They are not the same company and cncdrive take no responsibility for the UB1.
That said it seems to be an awesome bob!
You could get the same functionality from connecting more good quality BOBs but that would be alot more expensive? Also a headache to decide and find what you want/need?
With the UB1 you have everything ready for you, simple and stable :)

A_Camera
19-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Q1

No, UCCNC is a complete software, you can use it as it is. You can download and install UCCNC and if you don't have a license it will run in demo mode but it will have all the functionality (except motion) and all the default screens. You can also install my probing tab window on top of UCCNC if you are interested in additional probing functions. There is a commercial screenset you can buy and install if you want to, but it is not necessary and I don't know the benefits of it, other than it has some additional probing functions.

Q2

The UC300ETH does not have Modbus interface connection, you have to buy a separate hardware for that. You can use a simple and cheap USB dongle, or buy a little more expensive Ethernet - Modbus interface, like I did. Works both ways. The UCCNC software has a Modbus plugin which is pretty advancaed, yet easy to configure but your VFD must support real Modbus, which many Chinese VFD's don't do. There is also a free plugin for simpler Modbus communication if that's all you want.

Q3

I have no idea. I am using two cheap $5 BoBs and they work fine. You need at least one.

Q4

I am sure that those Bobs are higher quality than mine. I am though not sure they are worth paying for. Of course, if I was running my CNC commercially H24 then I'd buy the better BoBs but as it is now, I can't imagine paying that much for a BoB.

Q5

I have no idea, but I suggest you register on the CNCdrive forum and ask support. They are very fast in answering and helping out. My guess is that you can connect it to any free inputs and after configuring the UC300ETH it would work.

driftspin
19-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Q1

No, UCCNC is a complete software, you can use it as it is. You can download and install UCCNC and if you don't have a license it will run in demo mode but it will have all the functionality (except motion) and all the default screens. You can also install my probing tab window on top of UCCNC if you are interested in additional probing functions. There is a commercial screenset you can buy and install if you want to, but it is not necessary and I don't know the benefits of it, other than it has some additional probing functions.

Q2

The UC300ETH does not have Modbus interface connection, you have to buy a separate hardware for that. You can use a simple and cheap USB dongle, or buy a little more expensive Ethernet - Modbus interface, like I did. Works both ways. The UCCNC software has a Modbus plugin which is pretty advancaed, yet easy to configure but your VFD must support real Modbus, which many Chinese VFD's don't do. There is also a free plugin for simpler Modbus communication if that's all you want.

Q3

I have no idea. I am using two cheap $5 BoBs and they work fine. You need at least one.

Q4

I am sure that those Bobs are higher quality than mine. I am though not sure they are worth paying for. Of course, if I was running my CNC commercially H24 then I'd buy the better BoBs but as it is now, I can't imagine paying that much for a BoB.

Q5

I have no idea, but I suggest you register on the CNCdrive forum and ask support. They are very fast in answering and helping out. My guess is that you can connect it to any free inputs and after configuring the UC300ETH it would work.Thanks for all the answers.

So "commercial" is a non cncdrive related screenset....

Ok.

Well need to start figuring out what i want to connect tot the motion controller then.

And if i can justify :-) purchasing ub1 based on that.

Grtz Bert.

Neale
19-03-2018, 01:29 PM
I'm currently using a CSMIO-IP/M. The UC300ETH/UB1 combination is very similar with a few improvements from a hardware point of view, and I would be looking at the newer hardware if I were starting again now. As far as BOB functionality is concerned, things like differential motion signals, 24V signalling, isolated VFD analogue output, are all highly desirable. I like the idea of spring terminals as well - more reliable long-term than screw terminals. These are all relatively high-end BOB features and you don't find them in the bargain box on eBay. I have to say that my first router used a cheap BOB with 5V all round and didn't give any problems - but then, I wasn't using speed control or had any limit switches either!

Ger21
19-03-2018, 02:56 PM
1) I think that I'm the only one that offers a UCCNC screenset. It basically just adds probing, and auto zero macros.
As UCCNC is constantly adding new features, my screenset may not support all UCCNC features until I have a chance to update it.

3) The UB1 is not programmable. What you are referring to is the UC300ETH firmware. UCCNC actually loads different screens depending on the motion controller connected. As of about 10 version ago, UCCNC can detect the UB1, and load screens made for it.

4) 24V I/O, differential step/dir, analog inputs, charge pump output, speed control, relays.

5) Any available inputs, I believe.

driftspin
19-03-2018, 09:05 PM
Neal , Ger21,

Thanks for the answers,

Ger21 are you thecncwoodworker ?

Grrtz Bert.

Ger21
19-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Yes.

driftspin
19-03-2018, 11:12 PM
Yes.Ok that is so cool !

It is funny how i did not associate the machinists and and woodworking trades with any computer and electronics and programming skill.

I could not have been more wrong.

What a great group of knowledgeable people are geathered on here !

Thanx for having me [emoji16]

Hope to learn a lot and maybe contribute some day.

Grtz Bert.

A_Camera
20-03-2018, 11:28 AM
It is funny how i did not associate the machinists and and woodworking trades with any computer and electronics and programming skill.

Some of us with professional programming and engineering careers behind us pick up wood working/machining as hobby, some go the the other way. I think itīs good for people to have different interests and pick up hobbies different from ones main trade line and skills. I have no idea what Gerry has for background but I think there are plenty machinists out there who are interested in electronics and programming and other technical skills than what their main skills provide.

I could not have been more wrong.

We all have some prejudice. I think it's part of human nature.

What a great group of knowledgeable people are geathered on here !

Yes, I agree it's a great community. Not only this one, but the other forums as well.

driftspin
20-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Some of us with professional programming and engineering careers behind us pick up wood working/machining as hobby, some go the the other way. I think itīs good for people to have different interests and pick up hobbies different from ones main trade line and skills. I have no idea what Gerry has for background but I think there are plenty machinists out there who are interested in electronics and programming and other technical skills than what their main skills provide.

We all have some prejudice. I think it's part of human nature.

Yes, I agree it's a great community. Not only this one, but the other forums as well.Hi A_Camera, cant agree more.

I was also looking to acquire new skills.

Picked up the interest for cnc a while back.

So never stop learning, sharing knowledge is rewarding in many ways.

Thanx for now.

Hope spring starts soon ... i like 15 C better than <5 C.

Need to decide and order stuff.

Grtz Bert.